Genomics Operations Manager
Ocular Genomics Institute, Massachusetts Eye and Ear and Harvard Medical School
An experienced technologist with managerial experience is sought to manage operation of the Ocular Genomics Institute (OGI) Genomics Core Facility. The mission of the OGI is to bring precision medicine into clinical care for ophthalmic disorders by facilitating and promoting genomics and gene therapy research in the Department of Ophthalmology. We are looking for a highly-motivated individual to join and lead our OGI Genomic Core laboratory team. The successful candidate should be able to work independently as well as in a team environment, have strong interpersonal and relationship building skills and the ability to prioritize and execute tasks. The successful candidate should be capable of using and directing the use of state-of-the-art genomics techniques, including next-generation sequencing, targeted enrichment, microarrays, and Sanger sequencing for diagnostic- and research-based genetic analyses.
• Manage performance of, and perform as needed, targeted enrichment, DNA and RNA library preparation and sequencing analyses using Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq platforms. Experience with automated sample preparation systems preferred.
• Manage sample acquisition, storage and analyses for the Genetic Diagnostic Testing Service, which operates within the Genomics Core. This includes performance of panel-based genetic diagnostic testing and Sanger sequencing in a CLIA-certified setting.
• Manage genomics projects and timelines with OGI investigators utilizing genomics services, meeting deadlines, and consistently delivering data meeting or exceeding accepted quality control criteria.
• Manage performance of copy number variation (CNV) analyses using Illumina SNP Chip/iScan platform.
• Identify novel and evolving technologies and recommend the adoption of appropriate new methods and technologies to meet the mission of the OGI; implement novel technologies and develop standard operating procedures.
• Supervise operation of genomic analysis equipment, including the development of standard operating procedures that can be reproducibly applied to diagnostic and research samples producing consistent results. Arrange for routine maintenance and repairs.
• Work closely with OGI Genomics Core staff to coordinate genomic projects and ensure the laboratory is running efficiently and accurately. Assist with recruitment, supervision and training of genomics technical staff.
• Work closely with the OGI Bioinformatics staff to facilitate collaborative research projects and manage the processing and analysis of sequencing data.
• Assist OGI Directors with development and administration of genomics core budget.
• Participate in OGI, Departmental, Broad Institute and other local seminar series.
• Maintain written policies: (1) consistent with Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certification policies; and (2) to provide basic use and support of facilities for all eligible Genomics Core staff and end-users.
Education and Experience:
• MS or PhD degree required with three to five years recent and directly relevant experience.
• Next-generation sequencing experience.
• Targeted enrichment experience.
• SNP array, aCGH and Sanger sequencing experience preferred.
Interested candidates should send their CV, a cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.