At GSK we are poised to transform drug discovery by taking advantage of the genetic clues behind disease. Our new approach to R&D is at its core focused on the immune system, and will leverage human genetics, functional genomics and advanced analytics to improve the probability of success of developing new medicines. If you are inquisitive, creative, and bold, we need individuals like you to join us in our mission to study the basis of human disease and disrupt Healthcare.
Toward that end, we are seeking a Group Lead for our Functional Genomics High Throughput Biology team located in Upper Providence, PA. The incumbent will manage and develop this team of 5, and help the department assess and identify opportunities to accelerate and scale phenotypic, gene editing assays for GSK. Familiarity with array-based phenotypic assays, gene editing, preclinical translational models, automation, high content imaging, flow cytometry, and -omics readouts are all critical for this role.
Additional responsibilities are to include:
- Participation in the Global High Throughput Biology & Imaging Leadership Team,
- Helping to drive strategy in areas that enable high throughput functional genomics and translational preclinical models such as stem cells, primary cells, co-cultures and 3D models/organoids,
- Working closely with other local screening teams to drive strategy and execution in the biological screening space at the Upper Providence site,
- Seeking and implementing new technologies to expand our ability to scale genomic screening and apply these to pipeline-relevant activities,
- Providing high throughput biology expertise to the broader Functional Genomics department as needed, and
- Ensuring the external visibility of the team by contributing to the authorship of scientific papers and presentations.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in a physical or life science, or a Masters in the same with 6 or more years postgraduate experience.
- Track record of designing and executing high quality miniaturized biological assays or screens across multiple cell types and using multiple technologies for biological understanding or pharmaceutical purposes.
- Experience with laboratory automation/robotics, assay detection systems, and data analysis tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated understanding of the current drug discovery and development process.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Direct experience with CRISPR-based gene editing in cellular systems.
- Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting in general.
- Hands-on experience in the use and/or analysis of a range of preclinical imaging techniques.
- Experience with more advanced cellular models of disease such as 2D co-cultures, spheroids, organoids or organs-on-a-chip.
- Experience managing others
- Ability to work both independently and in multi-disciplinary, matrixed teams.
- A track record of publications and presentations in relevant areas of science & technology.
- Excellent team working behaviors, interpersonal and communications skills; Ability to work collaboratively in a global organization.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action – a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.