Full Time Assistant Adjunct Professor Position
University of California-San Francisco
Recruitment Period: December 18, 2019
HOST-PATHOGEN SYSTEMS AND COMPUTATIONAL STRUCTURAL BIOLOGIST FULL TIME ASSISTANT ADJUNCT PROFESSOR POSITION
The Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology (CMP) at the University of California, San Francisco is recruiting a basic science researcher for a full-time Assistant Adjunct Professor position. The selected candidate will join the Host-Pathogen Mapping Initiative (HPMI) (hmpi.ucsf.edu), a multi-disciplinary team of systems and structural biologists, as well as infectious disease experts and clinicians, to explore the molecular details that define pathogen virulence and host immunity. The HPMI group aims to systematically map the physical and genetic interaction networks for a variety of diverse infectious pathogens, and ultimately integrate the network, structure, and functional data within and across disease platforms to identify common biological pathways and complexes in the host that can be therapeutically targeted with potential broad-spectrum activity.
The successful candidate will lead the computational efforts for HPMI to integrate proteomics, genomics, and structural data to characterize the host-pathogen protein-protein interactions. As an independent investigator, the candidate will: (1) Design and execute methods to integrate data from different sources, including structural, biochemical, genetic, and proteomics data; (2) use integrative modeling approaches to characterize protein-protein host-pathogen interactions, structures, and dynamics; (3) build pipelines for analysis and integration of proteomics and genomics data; (4) provide scientific oversight of the project including review and advice on study design, modeling, data analysis and validation, and long-term planning to her or his team and colleagues; and (5) write manuscripts and applications for federally sponsored research.
The applicant must have a PhD and/or MD degree in computational biology, biophysics, biochemistry or a related field, and a strong track record of developing and leveraging methods for molecular modeling and data integration, with emphasis on host-pathogen interactions preferred.
Candidates must have research experience in integrative structural biology, molecular modeling, and methods developments for data analysis and integration.
A strong research record is essential, including evidence of publishing in high impact peer-reviewed journals and experience in writing and submitting proposals for federally sponsored research. Applicants will have strong written, verbal, and presentation skills and an ability to communicate and work in an interdisciplinary team environment. Also, she or he should have excellent management skills with experience teaching, mentoring, and advising students and trainees.
• Experience in integrative modeling approaches
• Proficiency in using and developing molecular modeling software
• Demonstrated experience as a research project lead
• Manage multiple diverse and collaborative projects between multiple laboratories
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• High productivity and successful record publishing in high impact journals
• Post-graduate training in the field
• Proficiency in computational methods and adherence to best practice
• A demonstrated track record of effectively using quantitative approaches to biological problems
• Understanding of large-scale proteomics data and placing it in a biological context
• Expertise in large scale data handling
• Experience in Bayesian statistics, machine learning/artificial intelligence algorithms, and other commonly applied techniques in the statistical omics data analysis.
• Success in securing external research funding
• Familiarity with the data generation and analysis process of biophysical/biochemical techniques commonly used for structure characterization such as X-ray crystallography, NMR, cryoEM, SAXS, HDX, and cross-linking mass-spectrometry.
• Community outreach
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Interested candidates must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1715380. Applicants must provide the following: Curriculum Vitae, Cover Letter, Statement of Contributions to Diversity, and the contact information (names, titles, and e-mail addresses) of three references. To receive full consideration, please submit all materials prior to the initial review date.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.