Full Professor Plant Development and Physiology (1.0 FTE)
Plants play a fundamental role in the sustainability of life on earth. Understanding the core developmental and physiological programs that drive plant growth and performance in a changing environment is key to addressing the scientific challenges of future food security. Our interdisciplinary research program is focused on the biological mechanisms and fundamental principles that determine how plants grow and perform in interaction with their biotic and abiotic environment. Studies in model and crop systems cover the broad range of plant science including, gene function, molecules, physiology, cell biology and ecology to understand plant functioning in their often challenging environments. Inspired by nature, we aim to contribute to the development of sustainable solutions for urgent societal problems such as future food security, biodiversity loss under climate change, and protection of our natural resources.
In this role you will build an inspiring new team of scientists to investigate the blueprint of plant development and physiology in the context of its dynamic environment, and contribute to our mission: Inspired by nature for future innovations.
Your fundamental research will make strong international scientific impact and contribute to societal challenges such as sustainable food security. As team leader, you inspire your team and will be a fundamental connection between research groups of the institute of Environmental Biology, the department, and the faculty. Your energy and passion for this new, high-profile line of research will strengthen the institute’s impact and reputation – both within the Netherlands and internationally.
As a passionate academic teacher, you will play a key role in the Biological Sciences Bachelor’s and Master’s curriculum, as well as in training and coaching PhD students and early-career scientists.
To excel in this role, you will need a PhD degree, an excellent scientific reputation, experience in academic teaching, and the ability to inspire and lead a scientific group.
You will also draw on:
- your strong commitment to develop a groundbreaking new line of research;
- your passion for fundamental research;
- your belief that science can bring about lasting societal impact;
- your enthusiasm for mentoring and coaching future scientists;
- your understanding of societal developments and concerns relating to plant-science;
- your clear vision on the future of research and education;
- your collaborative and interactive spirit;
- your interest in making a difference in our organization.
- salary at the Full Professor level H2 (€5.582 – € 8.127);
- you will be offered the opportunity to select two tenure track assistant professors to strengthen your team;
- a lively international community of world-leading scientists;
- the opportunity to teach in the largest biology curriculum of the Netherlands;
- a key role in the Future Food Pathway to Sustainability Hub, a multidisciplinary research platform connecting the 7 Faculties of the University;
- by the end of 2020 the brand-new Netherlands Plant Eco-Phenotyping Center at UU will be operational;
- a warm professional environment and a network of bright and strongly committed minds.
In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions. More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
About the organization
Your future team will play a central role in the plant biology cluster at the department and seek collaboration with its scientists in the fields of plant ecophysiology, plant-microbe interactions, ecology, and microbiology. You will also forge links with other groups within the department, specifically in relation to cell biology, developmental biology, theoretical biology and bioinformatics, and with scientists in the larger Utrecht Life Sciences community at Utrecht Science Park. You will benefit from the colleagues and facilities at the Biology Imaging Centre, the Utrecht Sequencing Centre, the Netherlands Proteomics Centre, the NMR Spectroscopy division, and the electron microscopy unit. You will have the opportunity to build a research team of international standing.
Utrecht University is a friendly and ambitious university at the heart of an ancient city. We love to welcome new scientists to our city – a thriving cultural hub that is consistently rated as one of the world’s happiest cities. We are renowned for our innovative interdisciplinary research and our emphasis on inspirational research and excellent education. We are equally well-known for our familiar atmosphere and the ambitious can-do mindset of our people. This fundamental connection attracts professors, researchers and PhD candidates from all over the world, making both the University and the Faculty of Science a vibrant international and wonderfully diverse community.
For more information please contact Prof Corné Pieterse, via C.M.J.Pieterse@uu.nl.
If this specific opportunity is not for you, but you know someone who may be interested, please forward the link to them.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. Are you interested? To apply, please send your letter of motivation and curriculum vitae via the ‘apply’ button below. Suitable candidates will be contacted and those who match best will be invited for a visit and interview.
A professional assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
The application deadline is