Full Professor (Ladder Rank, In-Residence) Department of Pharmacology, Chair
University of California San Diego
The Department of Pharmacology pursues a tripartite mission of innovative research, education, and clinical care in a highly diverse environment. The Department and the School of Medicine at UC San Diego are committed to academic, scientific, and clinical excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
In 1960, the University of California established UC San Diego as an integral part of the UC system. From the outset, it emphasized educating the next generation of California scientists and engineers, and expanded with the launch of the School of Medicine in 1968. Like its parent university, the school has placed a high standard upon linking basic and clinical discovery with outstanding, advanced methods for delivering compassionate care to patients. At present, UC San Diego boasts national and international accolades for the excellence of its education programs; the School of Medicine consistently ranks among the Top 10 in research funding; and its clinical programs have earned a number of distinguished awards for quality patient care. UC San Diego Health ranks in the top tier of academic hospitals and health systems, and over the past few years has constructed a number of incredible new inpatient and outpatient spaces.
The Department of Pharmacology (http://pharmacology.ucsd.edu) is a leading center for research and training in the discipline of pharmacology, and is renowned for its strength in defining basic cellular and molecular mechanisms of signal transduction, elucidating molecular structure and function, and using computational science to translate basic knowledge into discovery of therapeutic approaches for treatment of cancer, cardiovascular and neurological diseases. The faculty play a major role in medical, pharmacy and graduate student training, providing educational and programmatic offerings that span several disciplines. More than one hundred trainees at the graduate student and postdoctoral level, as well as a staff of more than 50 research technicians and administrators interact closely with the faculty to create a robust and stimulating work environment. We strive to recruit highly motivated and technologically-advanced individuals to become a part of our dynamic exploratory research and educational environment.
The Department fosters a highly collaborative research environment, with cost expenditures totaling more than $34 million in fiscal year 2018-2019. School of Medicine faculty continually receive the highest levels of research funding in the Nation, while Pharmacology consistently ranks in the Top 2 in NIH funding. The Department was ranked second in 2018 and 2019 by the U.S. News & World Report “Best Global Universities for Pharmacology and Toxicology.”
The Department of Pharmacology invites applications for the role of Department Chair. Reporting to the Dean, School of Medicine, the Chair will be responsible for the Department’s overall management, academic planning, budget, personnel, resource allocation, and programs. The Chair will play major role in the planning and development of the academic curriculum and research portfolio. Given the interdisciplinary nature of education and research at UC San Diego, there will be opportunities to catalyze interactions among programs and foster a culture of learning across the continuum of biomedical research and education, including in partnership with the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Jacobs School of Engineering, and other campus partners.
UC San Diego seeks candidates whose leadership capabilities and experience, teaching, research, and/or community service have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to excellence. The successful candidate will be able to prioritize, grow, and support the current excellence in patient care; advance methods of medical education; and create opportunities to accelerate innovation and research. They will also identify additional recruits to help grow the scholarly activities of the department. They will have a clear commitment to excellence in the education and mentorship of trainees. Additionally, a strong commitment to research, teaching, and public service.
As with similar roles, the Chair is expected to abide by UC San Diego’s Guidelines for Department Chairs Duties, including in the areas of faculty recruitment, diversity, service, and other policies and regulations.
• Outstanding academic record with experience as a senior administrator in an academic environment; a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking.
• Dynamic leadership skills
• Personal record of distinguished scholarly and research accomplishments in broad areas related to molecular pharmacology and drug discovery.
• History of fostering career development for early and mid-stage faculty across multiple disciplines.
• History of representing the Dean credibly, reliably, effectively, and tactfully to campus and external constituencies.
• Qualify for appointment as a Full Professor at UC San Diego.
• Doctoral degree or advanced degree (PhD and/or MD) in pharmacological sciences and/or related biomedical field. Candidates with an MD must have board certification/eligibility and be eligible for a California medical license or equivalent certification/permit as determined by the Medical Board of California.
• Research complementary to departmental strengths in signal transduction, cancer biology and neuroscience.
• Demonstrated leadership in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as a commitment to advancing these principles within the Department and the School.
Department Chairs positions at UC San Diego Health Sciences are considered at-will. This position will have annual performance reviews with a formal committee review every fifth year.
The appropriate series and appointment will be at the Full Professor Rank based on candidate’s experience and qualifications. Series will include 100% Ladder Rank or 50% Ladder Rank / 50% In-Residence with secured extramural funding.
A link to full descriptions of each series is provided for your review:
Ladder Rank Professor – see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/files/apm/apm-220.pdf
In-Residence Professor – see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/files/apm/apm-270.pdf
Applications must be submitted through the University of California San Diego’s Academic Personnel RECRUIT system at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF02347
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on the University of California pay scales.
Application materials must be submitted through the UC San Diego online application system. References (contact information or letter of recommendation) will be requested from all finalists.
The University of California is committed to creating and maintaining a community dedicated to the advancement, application, and transmission of knowledge and creative endeavors through academic excellence, where all individuals who participate in University programs and activities can work and learn together in a safe and secure environment, free of violence, harassment, discrimination, exploitation, or intimidation. With this commitment, UC San Diego requires all candidates for academic appointments with tenure or security of employment to complete, sign, and upload the form entitled “Authorization to Release” into RECRUIT as part of their application.
UC San Diego is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Cover Letter
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html site for more information.
• Authorization to Release Form – Applicants must complete, sign and upload this form. See Institutional Reference Check (https://aps.ucsd.edu/recruitment/background_check/https://aps.ucsd.edu/recruitment/background_check/) for more information.
• Misc / Additional (Optional)
• 3 required (contact information only)
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1731084
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.