About the team/job
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world, is looking for a frontend engineer who will actively participate in the design, development, and improvement of our web applications.
This position is open in the Alexandrov Team within the ERC Consolidator project METACELL on creating novel molecular methods (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/213785) and the European Information and Communication Technologies project CloudButton on serverless data analytics together with academic partners and IBM Research (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/219101).
- Contribute and potentially direct the development of our Vue.js-based front-end web application
- Learn cutting-edge technologies and apply them for the benefits of science and our users
- Develop prototype web applications for emerging innovative R&D projects
- Degree in Computer Science (BSc, MSc, or PhD) or equivalent work experience
- Well-rounded engineering skills a focus on front-end
- Experience working with Vue.js or React
- Being comfortable using Git
- Great communication skills and ability to think creatively
- Proficiency in English
You might also have
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience in visualization eg. D3, three.js, SVG, Canvas
- Passion for graphic design, UI and/or UX
- Proficiency in CSS and HTML magic
- Knowledge of server-side Node.js or Python
- Experience with GraphQL, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of CI/CD
Why join us
You will be a critical part of the dynamic, interdisciplinary, international and cross-cultural team where we work at the interfaces of biology, chemistry, and computer science. Our team has a flat organizational structure, currently consisting of 3 developers and 7 scientists. We use advanced software engineering to develop professional open-source software for data science, computational biology, and data visualization. Our has been published in top-level scientific journals, and highlighted in public media (CNN, Der Spiegel, Wired, Health, BusinessInsider) and won various awards (Nature Image of Year, Bremen Founder Award, Best of 2015 PLOS On Science Blogs).
You will contribute to the science frontier by developing web applications for analysis and visualization of big molecular data generated by imaging mass spectrometry and novel single-cell technologies. You will work with users from throughout the world who apply our tools in biology, medicine, and pharma and with our collaborators including major research institutes and cloud technologies developers eg. IBM Research.
What else you need to know
Software Engineering Technologies We Use
We love using modern software technologies including Python 3, scipy, pandas, TypeScript, Node.js, Vue.js, Docker, CircleCI, git, Amazon Web Services, Apache Spark and Ansible. Our main software product is METASPACE: http://metaspace2020.eu, https://github.com/metaspace2020.
- Attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organization
- Possibility for position extension, depending on circumstances at the time of the review
- Flat hierarchies and freedom to make decisions and grow professionally
- Access to learning resources, training and budget for conference visit
- Creative, diverse and international environment
- Broad spectrum of technological challenges
- Visa sponsorship and relocation
- Organized sport groups
- Regular team events
- German classes