FEBS Letters is one of four journals of the not-for-profit Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS). It has a 50-year history of publishing high-quality reviews, and original research articles in all areas of the molecular life sciences. The journal has a very wide readership and is renowned for its quality standards and speed of publication.
We seek a full-time Reviews Editor to take responsibility for commissioned content. The Reviews Editor will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Felix Wieland (BZH, Heidelberg University), the editorial office team and members of the Editorial Board to uphold high editorial standards and offer excellent service to our authors, referees and readers.
· Researching and commissioning new review material
· Ensuring timely delivery of commissioned reviews
· Developmentally editing review articles
· Writing editorials and research highlights
· Assisting with editorial activities including assignment of submitted manuscripts to editorial board members and quality control of manuscripts accepted for publication
· Maintaining excellent working relationships with authors, referees and members of the Editorial Board
· Occasional travel to conferences to represent and solicit feedback on the journal
Qualifications and experience
We seek an enthusiastic candidate with strong writing and networking skills who will flourish as part of a small, dynamic team. A candidate with strong editorial acumen and the enthusiasm and drive to further enhance the journal’s reputation would excel in this position. Applicants should have a PhD in molecular biology or a related discipline. Previous editorial experience, particularly in commissioning and editing reviews, is strongly preferred.
The Reviews Editor would preferentially be based in the FEBS Letters Editorial Office which is located in Heidelberg, within the University grounds. However, we will also consider the possibility of working from either the FEBS office in Cambridge or a remote location, restricted to the territories of Germany, Spain or the UK.
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter explaining your interest in the position, and a 200-word highlight of a recent advance in molecular or cell biology to Mary Purton (email@example.com). Successful applicants should be prepared to provide contact details for two references.
The salary is negotiable according to qualifications and experience. All offers of employment are made subject to FEBS verifying an applicant’s right to work in the specified countries.
Closing date for applications: 8 September 2019.
Interviews will be held in the second half of September.