- Leadership in vascular biology
- World class cardiovascular research institute
The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute is one of the most respected heart research facilities in the world. A global centre-of-excellence, it conducts high quality research with an emphasis on the fundamental mechanisms of disease. Key research areas include: cardio-genomics, cardiac electrophysiology and arrhythmias, cardiac developmental biology and congenital heart disease, heart transplantation, stem cells and regenerative medicine, vascular biology and systems biology.
To enhance its cutting-edge research efforts, the Institute has recently established an Innovation Centre that houses state-of-the-art equipment for biomedical research, including mass spectrometers for metabolomics and lipidomics, preclinical imaging (FLECT-CT, 7T PET-MR and X-ray Micro-CT), clinical 3T MR, light sheet and plate-based microscopy, comprehensive robotic iPSC development and phenotyping facility, and a cryo Electron Microscope.
Currently, cardiovascular research funding in Australia is at its highest. In recent times, both the Australian Federal Government and the NSW State Government have created substantial new funding opportunities to further enhance cardiovascular research in Australia.
We are seeking to hire an outstanding PhD researcher or clinician-scientist to lead a research program in vascular biology. The successful candidate will be someone who has the potential to become, or is already recognised as, an international leader, and will run a laboratory using contemporary approaches ranging from basic biochemical, analytical, molecular, genetics, cell and developmental biology, advanced imaging, to physiology and/or pathology. They will be employed as a Full Faculty member or Laboratory Head (Assistant to full Professor level) and based at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute in Sydney with an academic appointment at the University of New South Wales.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Lead a research program that is internationally recognised for its quality and ethical standards;
- Maintain a strong publication record;
- Receive invitations to speak at major symposia, chair sessions, and give keynote and named lectures;
- Establish collaborative projects within and/or outside the Institute, including involvement in clinical, commercial and industrial sectors, where appropriate;
- Maintain a strong track record in attracting peer-review research funding;
- Effectively manage a team and oversee a complex and significant research effort;
- Effectively supervise research scientists, postdoctoral fellows, post-graduate students and support Staff; and
- Serve on national and international Committees.
A relevant doctoral qualification or equivalent and appropriate research experience;
- Achievement of a substantive body of research which is making an impact on the field with publications in premier journals and substantive reviews;
- A strong national and international scientific reputation, as judged by awards from professional societies, invitations and other indicators;
- Success in gaining substantial and/or significant grants;
- Evidence of ability to attract and mentor high quality students and postdoctoral fellows; and
- A leadership style that promotes a co-operative culture throughout the laboratory that allows collaboration within the Institute and wider community
What we offer:
- An attractive remuneration package commensurate with your skills experience and qualifications. This position is appointed for a period of five years, renewable.
- Generous start-up funds, laboratory and office space;
- Eligibility for an academic appointment at the University of New South Wales;
- State of the art facilities with stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge biomedical research.
We strive to ensure our staff and students enjoy a great working environment. We value and are committed to a workplace culture that embraces diversity and gender equity and promotes flexible working arrangements for staff to balance working requirements and personal needs.
Come and work with us & help make a difference.
Passion • Courage • Integrity • Curiosity • Teamwork • Respect
For further information and details on how to apply, please download an information pack from our website– www.victorchang.edu.au or contact Maria Voukenas, Head Human Resources – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 31 July 2019