The Cancer Program at the Centre for Single-Cell Omics is aiming to improve the outcome of cancers with unmet medical need. We are using single-cell omics technology to dissect the heterogeneity of cancer and develop more effective therapies for our cancer patients. It has now become evident that cancer heterogeneity is not only related to the existence of intratumoral subclones, by further promoted by so-called cancer stem cells. These cells are responsible for intraclonal heterogeneity, metastasis and are inherently resistant to conventional therapies. We are performing internationally leading research on cancer stem cell biology with a strong emphasis on translational research (e.g. Cell Stem Cell 2007, 2011, 2015, Nat Methods 2014, Cell Metab 2015, Cancer Cell 2008, 2014, 2016, Nat Comm 2018).
We are particularly interested in the following research areas:
- Dissecting the heterogeneity of (circulating) cancer cells at single-cell level;
- Studying the genetic and epigenetic evolution resulting in resistance to therapy;
- Bioinformatic analysis of large-scale single-cell omics data;
- Understanding the cellular origin of pancreatic cancer stem cells;
- Identifying novel therapeutic targets using single-cell functional genomics;
- Metabolism in cancer stem cell
- Epigenetic regulation of cancer stem cells
- Immunology of cancer stem cells
- Designing and testing novel immunotherapies (e.g. tunable CAR T-cell) and CSC-targeting therapies;
PhD, MD or equivalent biomedical degree. A track record of scientific excellence in biomedical sciences.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine offers a rich and collaborative intellectual environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure. Competitive salaries for new faculty and housing allowance will be provided, dependent on demonstrated scientific excellence. With English serving as the common communication channel, proficiency in Chinese is not required. However, we do provide a free course in Mandarin Chinese as well as Chinese culture. The Center for Single-Cell Omics (www.shsmu.edu.cn/sph-cscomics/index.htm), Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, is located on the medical campus in downtown Shanghai and equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including four core facilities for single cell analysis.
Applicants should send their cover letter and CV to Prof Christopher Heeschen firstname.lastname@example.org.