Context of intervention
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Environmental Research and Innovation department
As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the work of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department tackles some of the major environmental challenges our society is facing today, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, the efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control. To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
(1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
(2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of:
- Analysing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bio-resources)
- Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities.
The selected candidate will join its Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit, which is developing knowledge, transferable (software) technologies and practical methods for the integrative evaluation and management of the sustainability and toxicological risks of human driven systems. Its final purpose is to foster sustainable, technology driven eco-innovation in industry and to support sustainability-oriented policy-making.
Within the SUSTAIN Unit, the applicant will be incorporated in the Sustainable Urban and Built Environment (SUBE) research group. The activities conducted within the SUBE group tackle the whole life-cycle of built assets (Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations). They mainly consist in the development and application of methods and tools supporting the transition of construction industry towards low-carbon, sustainable built environments (incl. districts and cities), also through its further digitalisation. SUBE is hiring an experienced Software Developer in the field of Geospatial Software Technologies. The applicant will intervene in the framework of national and international research projects, developing interoperable geospatial decision support platforms for sustainable smart city applications and environmental resources management.
The Software developer contributes to RDI projects through the design, development and improvement of applications and their methods, technological solutions and/or products.The candidate will contribute to research projects focussing on the implementation of operational geospatial web platforms involving geoanalytics & 3D visualisation to enhance city wide sustainable management tools (e.g. in the domains of energy, ecosystem service assessment tools) on the one hand and develop interfaces to ESA satellite hubs and implement distributed geospatial time series analyses algorithms for massive geospatial data as well as web processing services.
Contribution to RDI projects:
- Design, develop, and test software tools implemented into interoperable web-based geospatial decision support platforms for sustainable urban environmental applications and environmental resources management;
- Fix bugs, improve existing code when required;
- Implement operational geospatial web platforms involving geoanalytics & 3D visualisation to build realistic digital twins for e.g. city-wide energy management, green infrastructure using OGC standards;
- Maintain documentation of the developed code, according to the institute’s standards;
- Maintain state of the art expertise in the field of geospatial software technologies and geoinformatics;
- Contribute to the development of partnerships and networks at a national and international level in geoinformatics;
- Contribute to the technical content of new research proposals and commercialisation projects.
Dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results:
- Contribute to the software licensing;
- Participate in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions;
- Participate to the implementation of technological solutions (proofs of concepts, prototypes).
- Master degree in computer science
- Proven experience (4 years plus) in software development related to Geoinformatics and complex interoperable web platforms
- Experience of implementing scientific algorithms through REST and web services
- Experience of interacting with different kinds of partners and understanding their needs
- Experience of reporting results in a clear and comprehensible manner
Essential technical skills:
- Proven experience with Node.js, AngularJS, Bootstrap, OpenLayers, Cesium, WebGL
- Good experience in software development practices such as requirements gathering, version control, testing, security issues and writing software documentation
- Strong SQL database management skills and advanced SQL programming, experience with PostgresSQL
Desirable technical skills:
- Knowledge in OGC web service standards, e.g. WMS, WFS, WCS, WPS, SOS, GeoAPI
- Experience in using geospatial tools like QGIS, GDAL and geospatial data servers like MapServer and GeoServer
- Skills in Python, experience with PyWPS
- Knowledge of Linux system administration
- Experience in software licensing is a plus
- English is mandatory
- Luxembourgish, French and/or German are an asset