Experienced Research Assistant
Azeria Therapeutics Limited
Azeria Therapeutics(https://www.azeriatherapeutics.com/) is a Cambridge-based biotech company with a focus on developing innovative new cancer medicines by targeting transcription factors. Our small molecule drug discovery approaches emanate from ground-breaking research in the laboratory of Professor Jason Carroll of the University of Cambridge based in the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute located on the vibrant Cambridge Biomedical Campus. Azeria was founded in March 2017 and our translational bioscience research is conducted in modern well-equipped labs in the same building as the Carroll laboratory.
We seek an experienced Research Assistant to join our Bioscience team in a permanent laboratory-based role. This position is well suited for someone who has significant research experience in the academic sector and is aspiring to move into the translational biotech sector. The successful applicant will conduct important decision-making studies designed to assess the therapeutic potential of novel biological targets selected from our innovative research program. Studies will predominantly be in cell-based model systems and require independent application of state-of-the-art cell and molecular biology techniques to test research-based hypotheses. Applicants must have a BSc or MSc in a Bioscience discipline and have at least 2 years hands-on laboratory experience in an exploratory research-focused environment.
The role holder should be able to plan his/her own schedule of work within an agreed framework. The role holder will be highly organised, able to multi-task and open to learning new skills. He/She should be flexible and be able to contribute to a multi-disciplinary drug discovery environment. The role holder is expected to actively participate in the design of the experiments, collection of data, analysis and interpretation.
The role reports to the Associate Director of Target Evaluation and will work closely with the current team of cancer biologists in a highly integrated working environment. This permanent position is based at the CRUK Cambridge Institute and the successful applicant will be offered a competitive salary based on experience.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Applicants must include a cover letter with a description of their background and suitability for this role, along with a curriculum vitae including contact details for at least two referees.
For more information and to apply please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 29th November 2019
Education and knowledge Essential / Desirable
• BSc or MSc in a relevant biological discipline – Essential
• Good practical knowledge and understanding of cell and molecular biology techniquesm – Essential
• Knowledge, appreciation and implementation of good laboratory safety procedures
Essential – Experience
• At least 2 years hands-on laboratory-based research in an industrial or academic environment – Essential
• Evidence for significant, independent intellectual and practical contribution to problem-solving – Essential
• Previous experience of studying gene function using knock-down/knock-out/ectopic expression approaches – Desirable
• Independent and proficient in cell/tissue culture, Western blotting, cell viability assays and in general molecular biology techniques – Essential
• Highly organised with evidence for successful time-management and working to deadlines – Essential
• Evidence for effective learning and implementation of newly acquired technical skills – Essential
• Active listening skills and the ability to work in a team – Essential
• Excellence and clarity in both oral and written communication – Essential
• Excellent interpersonal skills for building and maintaining good working relationships within the Azeria team – Essential
• Evidence for a flexible, co-operative approach and ability to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative team environment based on openness and accountability – Essential
• Strong desire to work in a fast-moving small molecule-focused translational research environment bridging both commercial and academic research – Essential
• Maintain quality standards, follow SOPs, accurate record keeping and ensure highest standard of data protection – Essential
• Focus on short and medium-term objectives adhering to agreed deadlines – Essential