About the team/job
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. EMBO Communications is responsible for effectively communicating the activities of the EMBO Programmes to support life scientists and for further strengthening the reputation of EMBO in the scientific community throughout Europe and beyond.
EMBO is looking for a Communications Officer and Writer. The Communications Officer and Writer is in charge of planning, writing and editing different types of text for various external communications purposes and channels, amongst other tasks.
The Communications Officer and Writer
- Closely works with the Head of Marketing & Communications to plan and implement effective communications with EMBO community members, life scientists in Europe and beyond, science media and other stakeholders in the life sciences;
- Drafts, commissions and edits articles, news stories, press releases, interviews, memos, scripts and social media posts;
- Conceives communications concepts and plans and implements them together with the other team members;
- Liaises and closely works with all communications team members, as well as managers and staff across EMBO, in order to effectively communicate outcomes and benefits of the EMBO Programmes and activities;
- Performs communications-related monitoring and evaluation tasks as well as routine, organisational and administrative tasks.
This position will occasionally require duty travel and working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings and/or during the weekend.
You should have proven experience of 2-4 years in communications, preferably in a scientific organization, PR agency or scientific unit of a corporation, or in science journalism. Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English are an absolute requirement. The ability to quickly grasp scientific and related topics is important. Experience in media relations is highly preferred. The postholder is expected to have highly quality- and result-oriented working habits, as well as to be a team player – flexible, positive, enthusiastic and able to multitask.
You might also have
A background in the natural sciences is desirable.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits where applicable. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Communications Officer and Writer reports to the Head of Communications and Marketing.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.