About the team/job
An Electron Microscopy Facility manager position is available at the EMBL in Grenoble. We are looking for an individual to take responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the in house EM facility.
The post holder will become the main responsible person for the EM Facility at the EMBL Grenoble supervised by a Group Leader, currently Wojtek Galej. The successful candidate will liaise with other Group and Team leaders, research support staff, post-doctoral scientists and students at EMBL and with external collaborators.
EMBL is one of the world’s leading biomedical research organizations. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Rome (Italy). EMBL Grenoble is led by Dr. Stephen Cusack and focuses on structural biology and instrumentation development for x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM.
- Ensuring smooth running of the instrumentation (Glacios/Falcon III, Tecnai G2 BT, Vitrobot, glow discharger),
- providing training for new users, advice and troubleshooting for the facility’s users, becoming the main contact point for the Service Engineers,
- helping to maintain and develop local infrastructure,
- staying up to date with the latest developments in the cryo-EM methodologies including working with the instrumentation team to develop new cryoEM technologies,
- interacting with the members of the EMBL Heidelberg cryo-EM platform,
- and occasional travel between Grenoble and Heidelberg for data collection, training and technology transfer.
- Extensive experience in the operation of transmission electron microscopes, automated image acquisition software (some knowledge of the serial-EM would be particularly welcome),
- image processing and good knowledge of computing infrastructures,
- familiarity with user-oriented facility operation model,
- independence and ability to solve problems,
- good time management, pro-active attitude, multi-tasking and excellent communication skills.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
The local environment of the European Photon and Neutron Campus (EPN) provides access to state-of-the-art structural biology technologies, including the ESRF synchrotron X-ray beamlines for MX and SAXS as well as a Titan Krios, neutron scattering at the Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), high-field NMR at the Institute of Structural Biology (IBS) as well as protein expression screening, insect cell facilities, biophysical platform, confocal microscopy and high-throughput crystallization platforms.
What else do I need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
The salary and the exact responsibilities level will depend on the candidate’s profile.
For informal inquiries please contact Wojtek Galej (firstname.lastname@example.org).