The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from doctoral candidates in the general area of Digital Solutions for Future Energy Systems. SnT is carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners.
The Centre is rapidly expanding its research activities and is seeking highly motivated PhD candidates who wish to pursue research in close cooperation with our partners. For further information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu and https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/finatrax.
What we’re looking for:
- The interest and desire to work in interdisciplinary teams
- A desire to deliver the best solutions in the highest quality
- The ability to work in a team, motivation, self-initiative, flexibility, and willingness to work
- Sound analytical skills
- Solution-oriented working habits
- The willingness to assume responsibility
- An excellent degree
The successful candidates will join a strong and motivated research team lead by Prof. Gilbert Fridgen. They will carry out research in the context of Prof. Fridgen’s PayPal-FNR PEARL Research Grant (e.g. on automated trading in future power systems) and/or the SynErgie II Research Project. In SynErgie II we analyze, how the growing production fluctuation associated with an increasing share of renewables can be tackled by demand-side flexibility of industrial energy consumers. In particular, we focus on IT-based solutions for the energy system by building a corresponding platform for future flexibility trade. Thereby successful candidates will pursue a doctoral degree on the following topics:
- Digital energy markets/systems
- Machine Learning and Data Analytics
- Decision support for market participants and regulators
The position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Carrying out research in the predefined areas
- Analytics of data from various sources (e.g. market data, weather data, industry data)
- Disseminating results through scientific publications
- Participating in proposal drafting
- Assisting in organization of relevant workshops
Qualification: We welcome candidates with a M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or Information Systems, who are interested in working on the intersection field of digitalization and energy systems. We require commitment, team working, and a critical mind of the candidate. Proven research experience will be considered as an advantage (publications, awards, and other relevant aspects included in the CV will be considered).
Experience: Knowledge in the following areas is advantageous but not mandatory:
- Skills in Data Analytics software (e.g. R, SPSS)
- Basic knowledge in Machine Learning
- Basic skills in Java or Python
- Knowledge about the energy system or energy markets
- Knowledge about the potential of digital technologies
- Basic skills in modelling and optimization
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory. Knowledge of French or Luxembourgish is desirable. For SynErgie II, German language skills are mandatory, for the PEARL Grant, German language skills are optional.
Offer:The University offers a Ph.D. study program with an initial contract of 14 months, renewable for up to 36 months, with a further possible 1-year extension if required, on full time basis (40hrs/week). The University of Luxembourg offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer. You will work in an exciting international environment and will have the opportunity to participate in the development of a newly created university.
Application should include:
- Full CV.
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken.
- Statement on the candidate’s motivation for applying (minimum 300 words).
- Research statement and topics of particular interest to the candidate (minimum 300 words).
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: December 1st, 2019. Early submission is encouraged; applications will be processed upon arrival.
For further information, please contact us at email@example.com
Link : http://emea3.mrted.ly/2bojf