The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University.
The University of Luxembourg invites applications for a vacancy in its Laboratory for Scanning Probe Microscopy.
Doctoral Candidate (Ph.D student) in the field of photovoltaics – Advanced characterization of the materials developed for the solar (M/F)
Within the doctoral program PACE the successful candidate will conduct correlative optical and electrical characterization of different thin film solar cell technologies such as hybrid perovskites, CIGSe and photo-ferroelectric materials. The candidate will continue to develop a hyperspectral time resolved photoluminescence imaging setup, which allows to extract laterally resolved Quasi Fermi-level spittings, minority carrier lifetimes and bandgaps. This unique setup will be used to study different solar cell materials with an unprecedented precision in order to better understand the limitations of the current solar cell technologies. The Photoluminescence measurements will be supplemented with Kelvin Probe force microscopy in order to correlate the optical properties to electrical properties. Here we use a state of the art UHV SPM system, which allows to extract workfunctions and surface photovoltages with a high degree of reproducibility. The candidate will work in close collaboration with the other PhD students in the doctoral training unit. Moreover, a secondment at HZB Berlin is foreseen where complementary scanning electron microscopy analysis will be carried out. A background in solid state physics, preferably in solar cells or semiconductors is desirable. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Develop and carry out Photoluminescence imaging measurements
- Correlate to high resolution Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy measurements
- Publications in international journals and conferences
- Writing a thesis
- Occasional teaching and public outreach
- Excellent Masters in physics or similar
- Self-motivated, committed and curious
- Creative and independent thinker
- Very good knowledge of English
- Good oral communicator
- an exciting topic in the context of renewable energies
- a friendly international team and environment
- modern, and well equipped labs
- a competitive remuneration
Deadline for applications: 30th October 2019
Please upload your complete application in English (letter of motivation, CV, grade record, copy of diplomas, list of references) by clicking on the button below. Please apply online.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.