The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University.
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated PhD candidates in the general area of resource slicing for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) networks within its SigCom research group. SnT carries out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
The SigCom research group, headed by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems including satellite communications and radar systems, and is rapidly expanding its research areas to various enabling technologies for beyond 5G/6G wireless networks. For details, you may refer to the following: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
Doctoral Candidate (PhD student) in Resource Slicing for UAV Communications and Control in 5G and Beyond Wireless Networks (M/F)
This is a fully funded position for 3 years (extendable to an additional 4thyear) within a national research project in collaboration with POST (https://www.postgroup.lu/). Therefore, the objectives of the PhD project are defined in accordance to the project directions, and also aligned with the research interests of POST towards their next-generation of cellular networks. More precisely, this PhD project aims at developing novel resource allocation algorithms required to perform ultra-reliable low-latency communications for UAV networks, and investigating efficient resource slicing techniques for UAV communications and control in beyond 5G networks.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Prof. Björn Ottersten in the SigCom research group. The position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the national project “5G-Sky: Interconnecting the Sky in 5G and Beyond – A Joint Communication and Control Approach”. Further information about the project is available at: https://wwwfr.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom/projects/5g_sky_interconnecting_the_sky_in_5g_and_beyond_a_joint_communication_and_control_approach
- Carry out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminate results through scientific publications
- Present results in the well-known international conferences and workshops
For further information, please contact Dr. Shree K. Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Qualification: The candidate should possess an M.Sc./M.Eng. Degree in Telecommunication Engineering, signal processing, or a closely related field in Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Experience: The candidate should have some knowledge and experience in some of the following topics:
- 5G Ultra-reliable and low-latency communications (URLLC)
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) networks
- Radio resource allocation/management (e.g. power allocation, frequency assignment, scheduling, beamforming, etc.)
- Resource slicing and network slicing
- Joint communication and control design and be familiar with the principles of:
- Linear Algebra
- Optimization techniques and tools
- Statistical Signal Processing
- Machine learning/deep learning
Programming skills: MATLAB, Python or C++.
The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.
Application should include:
- Full CV, including:
- For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, institution name, institution city and country, and date (or expected date) of graduation. Include the title and short summary of your final (Bachelor / Master) Thesis if you did one.
- List of publications (if any)
- Name, affiliation and contact details of three referees
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page).
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 15/09/2020.
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered. Early submission is encouraged as applications will be processed upon arrival.