Director, Mammalian Genomic Engineering Resource Center
Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Division of Biology and Biological Engineering at Caltech is seeking a Director for our new Mammalian Genome Engineering Resource Center. An appointment to be a Member of the Professional Staff may be considered for this position.
This is an Essential Reporting role. An employee designated as essential reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery, and is expected to report to campus as soon as possible.
- The successful candidate will participate in advances in the genome engineering to establish a Mammalian Genome Resource Center at Caltech. They would establish current state-of-the-art techniques for the field (below) and be able to continuously update genome engineering technology in the Resource Center. To this end, they would be expected to attend conferences, follow research literature, and discuss new approaches with faculty.
The Director will use their personal skills in transgenesis, pronuclear injection, embryo micro-manipulation and transfer, ES cell derivation, cloning, and CRISPR technology in collaborative interactions with Caltech faculty engaged in diverse research projects. They will interact with faculty members to devise appropriate experimental strategies.
In addition to mice, the Director would, with time, develop experimental approaches applicable to other mammalian species.
Management and Leadership
- Ttrain and supervise staff members working in the Resource Center in the above skills to the common goal of maintaining the Center at the forefront of developments. They will contribute to making decisions on hiring, promotions, salary changes, performance evaluations, and terminations.
Animal Care and Well-Being
- Plan, oversee, and coordinate day-to-day operations and administration of the Resource Center. Part of their time will be spent in Caltech’s AAALAC accredited animal facilities. Policies regarding maintenance of the integrity of the rodent facilities, with regard to pathological status of animals, have been established by the Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR). They will ensure that all facility operating procedures meet the requirements of OLAR and Federal and State regulations governing the care and treatment of animals in research. They will ensure that staff provide a level of technical support to investigators in assisting with experimental work and provision of data pertaining to it. The Research Scientist, Director will organize re-derivation and cryopreservation programs as needed and train and educate researchers in proper laboratory animal procedures and activity in the field of transgenic technology.
Budgeting and Administration
- The Director will manage and administer a charge-back system for services; participate in choosing and purchasing equipment in the development of new facilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in developmental biology or related field
- Experience in management at either research project or facility level
- Experience and knowledge of methods for transgenesis, pronuclear injection, embryo micro-manipulation and transfer, ES cell derivation, cloning, and CRISPR mutagenesis
- Ability to develop and maintain housekeeping, safety, and establish procedures for maintaining pathogen-free rodents
- Knowledge and understanding of all Federal and State laws, regulations, guidelines, and standards for the treatment of laboratory animals
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively plan research objectives with faculty and work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Budget planning, fiscal control, and accounting skills
- Pre-employment physical required
- Ph.D. in mammalian developmental biology or related field with postdoctoral or junior faculty experience
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/1784763
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.