About the team/job
EMBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 Member States, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, and provides life science training and service programs globally.
EMBL is recruiting a Digital Communications Lead to develop a comprehensive digital communications strategy for the whole of EMBL, including web, intranet and aspects of social media.
A priority task is taking to completion, within tight deadlines, an existing project to design and implement our new corporate web presence. We want to improve the visibility of the broad portfolio of research, technology and training services EMBL offers to the global life-sciences research community, governments and society.
You will be an accomplished leader of digital teams, and with strong project management experience. You will have a demonstrated track record of delivering within tight deadlines in a corporate environment with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
Based in Heidelberg, you will report to the Head of Communications, and lead a team of four. You will work collaboratively with web product owners, IT teams and a broad community of scientists and service owners across our six sites to ensure a seamless connection between the web team and content owners.
You will also work closely with internal communications, IT and HR to design and deliver a new staff intranet, and other digital channels.
- Leading and managing a digital team to introduce a new web presence for EMBL within tight deadlines
- Design and implement an effective evaluation plan for EMBL’s online presence, and appropriate governance structures, policies and processes
- Build relationships with external suppliers to fulfil short-term development capacity requirements
- Manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders in digital projects
- A passion for web development – you need to understand how web infrastructures operate, how great websites are built and how their developers work
- A strong track record of successful completion of digital communications projects within a corporate environment
- Extensive project management and web governance experience
- Excellent organisational, planning, written and verbal communication skills – noting EMBL’s working language is English
- Leadership and team management experience in a multicultural environment
You might also have
- Experience of working in a scientific research environment is desirable but not essential
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
What else you need to know
This position will be based at EMBL’s headquarters in Heidelberg, and may require regular travel to other EMBL sites.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.