Research Square is the leader in ethical author-oriented solutions in the world of academic publishing. We are home to the American Journal Experts (AJE), which provide solutions that help researchers improve the quality of their research papers and communicate their work to facilitate intellectual discovery. We currently have a challenging opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the role of Developmental Editor on a salaried part-time or full-time basis.
As a Developmental Editor, you will be providing expert editorial advice and editing on research papers, grant applications and other scientific text in a range of fields. The Developmental Editor’s role is to provide high-quality editing and constructive and critical advice on the document based on their expertise in scientific writing and their in-depth knowledge of field.
To perform these tasks, the Developmental Editor will:
- Carry out the main editing and commenting stage on scientific documents in a range of fields related to your own, to high quality standards and to deadlines, for papers in bioinformatics or other computational natural sciences, or in physics topics (including optics, photonics, materials physics and condensed matter physics).
- Carry out a final round of editing in documents on which the main editing stage has already taken place, in a wide range of scientific fields
- Ensure that our editorial input meets the needs of our customers and is also mindful of the needs of journal editors and peer reviewers
Requirements for the role include:
- A doctoral degree in a field of bioinformatics, computational natural sciences or physics
- Familiarity with experimental work and/or simulations
- An exceptionally strong grasp of the English language and exceptional editing skills
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- A customer-focused mindset
- Enthusiastic, committed, self-motivated, and able to thrive in both collaborative and autonomous environments
- A high level of personal accountability and excellent time management skills, including the ability to meet simultaneous short-term deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in the face of change
Our ideal candidate also:
- Has at least one publication in a leading specialist journal
- Has experience of copyediting/editing scientific text within an STM journal or experience of selecting papers for publication and managing peer review at an STM journal
- Is interested in training new editors and providing feedback on their work
Who We Are
Research Square, home to American Journal Experts (AJE), is the leader in trusted and ethical author-oriented solutions in the world of academic publishing. We are a rapidly growing company, and our 300+ employees are committed to making a difference in the world of research discovery, communication, and publication. We take our work to improve the lives of researchers very seriously, but we also believe in having fun doing so! Our work environment is casual and extremely flexible. We have a results-focused workplace. Most of our team works remotely from across the US, but we do have an open office in downtown Durham, NC. The Research Square work environment is stimulating and dynamic, and our employees are a hardworking and fun team.
Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
Triangle Business Journal’s Best Places to Work (2017, 2019)
NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)