Research program title
Decoding memory consolidation: Machine learning in sleep and across the lifespan
Coffey Lab: Audition, Sleep and Plasticity (CL:ASP) is seeking a postdoctoral research fellow (PDF) to join our team. The work will focus on applying machine learning to decode patterns of neural activity associated with neural ‘replay,’ in which memories from the day’s events are reactivated and transferred to long-term storage. The PDF will work closely with graduate students to examine replay in several unique EEG and source-localized MEG datasets that have already been acquired (from younger and older adults) and preprocessed.The PDF will take a leadership role in bringing the research to publication. They will also have the opportunity, guidance, and support to develop their own research/experiments within the context of a research program on sleep-dependent memory consolidation, its enhancement with training or auditory stimulation, and/or neuroimaging. The ideal candidate will be a self-driven team player with interests that span both technical and cognitive neuroscience aspects of the projects, and a generous, positive outlook with respect to mentoring junior lab members.
Academic qualifications required
- PhD in a field related to machine learning, such as Computer Science, Data Science, Neuroscience or Cognitive Science
- Excellent machine learning skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in human cognition and neuroimaging
- A strong desire to build their publication record
- Experience in sleep or memory research is an asset.
- Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
- Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
- Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
Timeline and application process
The Postdoctoral Fellow must start his/her appointment by March 1, 2021.
- All documents must be submitted to Niyusha Samadi.
- Please include the reference number with your application
- One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above.
- Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to Niyusha Samadi.
The prestigious Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $50,000 per year plus benefits and full access to Concordia’s services, including GradProSkills.
Concordia University is a vibrant research and teaching environment, with state-of-the-art research facilities and many research centers. Concordia is located in Montreal, Canada, a diverse and creative city, often ranked as offering one of the best quality of living experiences in North America.