We have an exciting opportunity for a data scientist to join our Cancer Ageing and Somatic Mutation (CASM) team.
We are looking for a data scientist to analyse large sequencing datasets to obtain biological insights. Working as part of a team you will contribute to research on blood cancer evolution. You will add value to the team by being involved in the building and implementation of novel computational tools.
You will be required to attend lab meetings, further training courses (in the institute and further afield) to build upon your existing knowledge. This is a great opportunity for a data scientist to work in an environment that supports your career development.
- Degree in statistics, mathematics, computational biology or relevant discipline or relevant experience.
- Experienced in independently solving data analytic problems, as part of degree work and demonstrated as part of project experience.
- Excellent programming skills, e.g. R, Python, Shiny etc.
- Previous understanding and application of data science methodologies
- Proficiency in Unix/Linux operating system
- Experience with using compute cluster and batch queuing systems
- Data Mining expertise to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured.
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving skills
- Experience with managing and processing next-generation sequencing data
- Proficient in statistical analysis of genome-wide datasets
Closing Date: 15th December 2019
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.