Data Scientist, Bioinformatics (Ref: BI/0619)
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery (FBDD) platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and BalversaTM partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on oncology and neurological disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY…UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
The Bioinformatics Team at Astex works with multi-disciplinary project teams throughout the discovery, preclinical and clinical pipeline, with an emphasis on using NGS technologies, multi-omics data, functional genomics and structural bioinformatics to drive new target evaluation, preclinical and clinical research.
We are looking for an experienced data scientist to join our Bioinformatics Team. The position will provide the candidate with an opportunity to apply their computational and mathematical skills to develop innovative methods for analysing complex multi-layered omics data to identify novel targets and biomarkers associated with diseases. We are looking for a candidate with significant experience in data science research, for example mathematical modelling, machine learning and statistical data mining techniques.
- Developing and implementing novel analytical approaches to analyse diverse multi-layered omics data types (e.g. genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics) to identify novel drug targets, biomarkers and therapeutic mechanisms
- Lead the development of predictive models, using mathematical, machine learning/artificial intelligence and statistical approaches, for biomarker development and patient stratification
- Integration and meta-analysis of public & internal data sets to generate testable hypotheses
- Support the bioinformatics team in implementing innovative statistical methods & data integration approaches
- Stay up-to-date with novel analytical methodologies, tools and applications
- Maintain and expand knowledge of high-throughput genomic data sources
- Contribute to the general development of Astex’s bioinformatics platform and capabilities
- Degree in numerical discipline (applied mathematics, computational statistics, physics, data science, engineering, computer science or similar)
- Demonstrated working knowledge of statistical methods (Bayesian, probabilistic programming, Gaussian processes) and graphical models
- Knowledge of machine learning methods for example neural networks, random forests, SVMs, regression, clustering, dimensionality reduction or ensemble methods
- Programming proficiency with Python, R or similar
-Experience in developing algorithms and workflows
-Good understanding of NGS techniques, cancer genomics and analytical approaches for analysingmulti-omics and multimodal data sets is desirable
-Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to communicate withcomputational and experimental scientists
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Closing date: 31st July 2019
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: BI/0619 to HR.UK@astx.com
We are recruiting into permanent and 2-3-year fixed term contract positions depending on qualifications and experience
For information on Astex Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.astx.com
and for information on Otsuka Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.otsuka.co.jp