We are seeking an enthusiastic Data Manager to curate electronic health record (EHR) data from a variety of sources, and to derive new variables by applying existing code lists and algorithms from major UK and international initiatives, e.g. UK Biobank and CALIBER. The Data Manager will also contribute to the integration of molecular, genomic and imaging data with clinical information from EHRs, and be responsible for preparing extracts of data for analysis.
Candidates should have a higher degree or equivalent experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computer science, mathematics or statistics. They should have: experience of working with large-scale healthcare datasets and deriving variables from electronic health records; experience of programming in one or more relevant programming languages; and excellent attention to detail.
Health Data Research UK is the new national institute for data science for health, which is being established in 2018 with long term (10 year+) funding support from research councils, UKRI, charitable and governmental research funders. The mission of HDR UK is to drive improvements in the health tripartite of patients and populations through research at regional and national scale. To deliver this mission, the Wellcome Sanger Institute (WSI), EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), and the University of Cambridge (UoC) and its associated hospitals came together as the HDR Cambridge partnership
• Higher degree or equivalent experience in one of the following subjects: bioinformatics, biostatistics, computer science, mathematics, statistics.
• Prior experience working with large-scale data relating to healthcare and deriving variables from electronic health records
• Strong organisational skills and ability to judge priorities
• Experience of statistical or other programming languages to manipulate large datasets
• High-level report writing and presentation skills
• Ability to work accurately, with attention to detail
• Knowledge of existing phenotyping algorithms, such as those developed by CALIBER
• Experience of preparing data extracts for analysis by others
• A track record of authoring scientific publications
Please include a CV and a cover letter describing your skills with your application.
If you would like further information or to have an informal discussion about the role, please contact the hiring manager through: email@example.com
Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. As such, we encourage early application.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Wellcome Genome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.