The Data Librarian will provide data management planning, support, and training to Janelia researchers. Additional responsibilities may include contributing to the assessment of impact of Janelia research and data dissemination.
Data Management Role:
- Collaborate on data management and dissemination as a peer to researchers, guiding generation of shareable data sets throughout the research lifecycle, manage inquiries, and support best practices.
- Support and curate data management resources, specifically Figshare, and possibly others such as OSF or Google Data Search.
- Support Open Data initiatives by promoting use and involvement of the resources and implementing data sharing plans.
- Curate existing data sets, explore and implement effective categorization, tagging, and presentation of data.
- Guide researchers in the choice of formatting, structure, and naming of data.
- Identify data standards, metadata standards, best practices for data management, etc. to continuously build expertise and improve provision of service.
- Maintain knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, Intellectual Property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
- Develop and deliver data management training programs, including in-person and online training materials and resources.
- Provide support on projects that seek to measure and accurately represent Janelia’s impact in local information systems, as well as external platforms, databases, and information sources.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of two (2) years combined of library, information technology, informatics, and/or scientific research experience.
- Experience with one or more components of the research data life cycle: creation, processing, analysis, preservation, providing access, and re-use.
- Demonstrated experience working with one or more data science/statistical/computational tools such as Python, R, Jupyter, MATLAB, JSON, or SQL.
- Demonstrated ability to discover, and quickly become competent using new technologies, software, and devices; willingness to explore the use of innovative technologies with a high tolerance for risk and failure.
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active, willing to take on new challenges and solve problems with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and abilities, and comfortable working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Experience in neuroscience research such as neurophysiology, advanced imaging, connectomics, etc.
- PhD in neuroscience or a related discipline.
- Experience with Figshare and knowledge of additional data dissemination platforms: Dryad, Zenodo, Open Science Framework, etc.
- Familiarity with Neurodata Without Borders.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.