About the role….
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Computational Scientist to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Computational Scientist you will investigate the genomic and regulatory rewiring following precision breeding edits in single cells and plants. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will be responsible to lead the computational design and analysis of complex experiments.
The Computational Scientist will be leading the design, implementation, execution and coordination of scientific computational activities related to genomics, and image data. He/she will report directly to the R&D Director. The right candidate enjoys a “start-up” atmosphere is flexible, shows good judgment and is willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent leadership, collaboration and communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team with expertise in biology, agronomy, physiology, genetics, genomics, protein engineering, data science, and software engineering.
As a Computational Scientist you will ….
● Be part of a multidisciplinary team developing and applying innovative precision breeding technology in single cells and plants.
● Lead the computational design and generation of genomic data sets
● Analyse large data sets, perform data aggregation across biological experiments and interpret results to provide further recommendations towards the projects’ goals
● Implement and develop cutting edge single cell sequencing methodologies to enable the development of high throughput cell based diagnostic assays.
● Transfer your experience related to collaborative and reproducible code development, pipeline building, and data analysis using industry standard tools (Docker, Jupyter and git).
● Participate in scientific discussions and present research outcomes to peers and management
● PhD in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Plant Breeding, Genetics, or other relevant scientific field
● Strong understanding of molecular biology and bioinformatics
● Experience in analysing large-scale genomics experiments
● Fluent programming skills in python
● Experience with software development
● Experience with Git, Agile methodologies, Jupyter notebooks
● Experience with databases (e.g. SQL)
● Strong track record of developing creative solutions to complex problems
● Strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks
● An efficient and well organized approach to deliver high quality results on time.
● Strong communication skills, both written and oral
● Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment and handle ambiguity gracefully
● A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback
● An appreciation of diversity and work in multidisciplinary teams
Additional Desired Skills/Experience:
● Previous experience working with plant genomic data is a plus, but not required.
● Experience with AWS, Docker, Argo
● Experience with workflow systems such as Nextflow and snakemake
Started in 2016 in Cambridge, MA (USA), with another research site in Ghent (Belgium) and a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA), we have over 130 employees, . Inari Agriculture is an exciting early stage, high growth company working to create a winning global food system for all. We’re taking a revolutionary approach to transform plant breeding and contribute to a transparent agriculture system that is climate resilient and respectful of the environment, promotes nutrition and health, empowers all farmers, and can continue to feed the growing global population. To solve these hard problems for world changing impact, we’re fearless in asking the questions no one else is, and determined to find the answers no one has yet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
Headquartered in Cambridge, MA (USA), with another research site in Ghent (Belgium) and a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA), we have over 130 employees. The position is located in Ghent as part of a growing team. We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we’ve intentionally combined experience with potential; bringing ag industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world without starving the planet we’d love to hear from you!