About the team/job
EMBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 Member States, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, and provides life science training and service programs globally.
We are expanding our local Communications and Stakeholder Engagement activity, and have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and experienced Communications Officer to support our research site in Grenoble and our wider activities in France.
A self-starter and comfortable working autonomously, you will play a key role in engaging stakeholders, partners and the public with the fascinating research, technology development, training and multinational services carried out at EMBL.
You will be a member of the EMBL-wide Communications Department reporting to the Engagement Lead in Heidelberg and to the local Grenoble site management. You will have responsibility for a full range of internal and external communications and stakeholder support functions: at our Grenoble site; across our relationships in France and, as a member of the wider Communications Department.
We are an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout Europe and beyond, particularly in life sciences research and technology sectors.
The role is four days a week, with an opportunity for flexible working arrangements.
- Intensifying EMBL’s outreach to and engagement with key stakeholders, including planning and organizing communications and stakeholder events for EMBL Grenoble and EMBL in France
- Identifying and maintaining local, regional and national partnerships with scientific universities and institutes, ministries and industry
- Establishing and maintaining active and effective relations with science journalists, science communications professionals, and local partners in Grenoble and the region
- Identifying, producing and editing high quality content in both French and English for multiple channels (media, social media and internal communications e.g. webpages)
- Organizing local media events, visits and tours, often in collaboration with local partners, and briefing and training spokespeople
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of EMBL’s media work in collaboration with the Heidelberg based Media Officer
- Ensuring flow of information between the Communications team based in Heidelberg and the EMBL Grenoble site
- Higher education, ideally in a scientific subject, with significant experience in science media and/or outreach in a science-based environment
- Several years of experience in a communications and/or media-relations role, ideally in a science-based environment at international level
- Experience working with social media
- An excellent command of spoken and written English and French
- A university degree or relevant professional qualification
- A proactive, open and professional attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management and priority-setting skills
- The ability to work independently as well as a team member
- A passion for science and the ability to communicate confidently and clearly about complex scientific issues
You might also have
- Experience in organizing various types of outreach events is advantageous
- Knowledge of other languages besides French and English, particularly German, Italian and/ or Spanish, is advantageous
- Experience working in an international environment is an asset
- Availability to travel occasionally to other EMBL sites
Why join us
EMBL is a world-leading life-science research organization currently funded by 27 governments. We are international, innovative, interdisciplinary and highly collaborative, with 1700 employees from many nations working on six sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
What else you need to know
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organization.
For informal inquiries about the position please contact Elise Bralet (email@example.com).
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.