Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT) has an opportunity for an outstanding candidate who can successfully combine line and program responsibilities. As Co-Director, the selected candidate will share responsibility with the CINT Director at Sandia National Laboratories for the overall success of CINT and also serve as co-lead of the CINT program management team. Typically, the Co-Director will eventually succeed the Director in CINT’s joint leadership model.
As Project-Program Director, the selected candidate will be responsible for leadership and oversight of LANL’s MPA-CINT group, a 75-person organization (including a substantial postdoc and student population) that carries out R&D for a wide variety of sponsors, ranging from Basic Energy Sciences (BES) materials core research and user facility support to national security and applied energy research.
CINT is a Department of Energy/Office of Science Nanoscale Science Research Center operated jointly by Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories as a national user facility devoted to establishing nanoscale science by developing the scientific principles that govern the design, performance and integration of nanoscale materials. With sites in both Los Alamos, NM, and Albuquerque, NM, CINT provides world-class facilities and expertise to the broad scientific community with the mission to support and accelerate the progress of nanoscience.
• Outstanding scientific research and technical leadership in nanoscience or a related field as evidenced by publications, citations and presentations
• Leadership experience within a complex or multi-disciplinary R&D organization
• Track record of successful grantsmanship, externally-funded scientific research programs from varying sponsors and management of large research projects
• Demonstrated success in strategic planning and implementation
• Record of effective communication, teamwork and consensus building within the scientific community
• Record of successful mentorship and technical development of personnel
• Ability to safely, securely and effectively manage diverse research facilities with chemical, biological and other high hazards
• Ability to effectively manage financial and human resources with commitment to AA/EEO/Diversity objectives, staff career development and mentorship of junior scientists
• Ability to obtain DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship)
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of science; Ph.D. preferred
• Experience with DOE-BES and national user facilities
• Knowledge of LANL and other DOE program offices
• Demonstrated success in developing partnerships with external institutions, particularly other national laboratories
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance, and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC74516:
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.