Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications., which is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a Chief Life Sciences Editor to manage the life science division of the journal.
Chief Life Sciences Editor, Nature Communications
The Chief Life Sciences Editor, Nature Communications is a demanding and intellectually stimulating position that has responsibility for determining the growth and future direction of the life sciences content of the journal. The role is also responsible for acting as the external face of the journal in the broader life sciences community to raise the visibility and awareness of the journal.
Key responsibility include:
• Ensuring high standards of quality for editorial process and decision making.
• Managing a team of 8 Team Managers and supporting them in managing their own editorial teams.
• Determining the representation of the life sciences content published in the journal; ensuring growth in both quality and quantity.
• Drive the implementation of new policies, workflows, systems and processes.
• Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community
• Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
• Solid editorial experience, with demonstrated knowledge of processes and ethics in academic publishing.
• Ideally experience in an editorial management role
• A PhD in a life science subject (or equivalent)
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent leadership and team-building qualities
• Thorough understanding of the scientific publishing process, including of the needs of authors and referees
• Enthusiasm and passion for excellence in science and for science communications.
The journal’s management team is primarily based in London, which is the preferred location for this role. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter along with a statement outlining your vision and
editorial priorities for the life sciences division of the journal that you would implement if you were to be successful in securing this exciting role.
Closing date: 28 April 2019 (candidates will be considered as they apply). Interviews will be held in the first two weeks of May.