Chief Editor, Annals of Botany
The Annals of Botany Company, an independent, not-for-profit organization, is seeking a successor to Professor Pat Heslop-Harrison as Chief Editor of its flagship journal Annals of Botany. The journal is a peer-reviewed outlet for primary plant science and is owned outright by the company. Currently published by Oxford University Press, it is now the longest continuously-published title in plant science, having been established in 1887. The journal gives its readers access to genuine and novel advances across the whole of botanical knowledge.
Key tasks. The Chief Editor is charged with full oversight of the journal’s content and development and is expected to:
- Sustain and enhance the performance of the journal and maintain high standards of reliability, transparency and fairness.
- Support and strengthen the journal’s Editorial Board.
- Arrange for papers to be assigned to Board members for review and make final decisions on acceptability for publication.
- Take responsibility for the systematic processing of appeals and complaints.
- Oversee and develop the work of four Regional Editors.
- Oversee and develop the Journal’s website in conjunction with the owners and publishers.
- Minimize procedural problems and errors in publication.
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the journal through a Managing Editor and Deputy Managing Editor.
- Solicit and encourage special issues of the journal, review articles, commentaries and mini-reviews on subjects of topical interest.
- Represent and promote the journal among the botanical community at external events and conferences.
- Communicate effectively, and meet regularly, with the owners and publishers, and liaise with Editors of the three sister journals AoB PLANTS, in silico Plants, and Botany
Qualifications and general terms. The new Chief Editor will be a plant scientist of high international standing with proven editorial experience. The journal’s operations are conducted electronically, so he/she may be located anywhere in the world. In addition:
- The position is part-time, and it is expected that the successful candidate will already have, or will recently have had, an appointment at a university or research institution.
- The time to be devoted to the journal is nominally one day per week, or a net equivalent.
- The terms of remuneration are flexible and may involve personal payment, institutional payment, a salary buy-out, or a grant aided post at a home institution.
- Combinations of two or more remuneration arrangements may be negotiated.
- Necessary travel expenses and agreed capital or recurring office expenses are available.
- The initial term of the post is five years, which may be extended by mutual agreement between the Chief Editor and the Company.
- A full-time Managing Editor, a Deputy Managing Editor, and a Social Media Editor assist the Chief Editor in the day-to-day running of the journal. All these are located within the Department of Plant Sciences at the University of Oxford, UK.
- Local support at the Chief Editor’s institution may also be considered.
- Previous Chief Editors will be available for advice, if required, over a transitional period.
Please compile your application as a single PDF document and email it to the Secretary and Treasurer of the Annals of Botany Company, Prof. Roderick Hunt: email@example.com to arrive no later than 31 January 2020.
Job type Editor
Discipline Plant Science
Hours Part time
Duration 5 years, renewable
Apply with CV
and Cover Letter
Download more detailed guidance on the job and the application process here – https://annalsofbotanycompany.co.uk/media/AoB%20Chief%20Ed%20more%20detailed%20guidance.pdf