Royal Academy of Engineering Chair in Emerging Technologies
Award value: £2.5M
Application deadline: 4pm (UK local time), Tuesday 22 February 2022
Chair in Emerging Technologies
Funded by the UK Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy. The Academy’s Chair in Emerging Technologies scheme aims to identify global research visionaries and provide them with long term support to lead on developing emerging technology areas with high potential to deliver economic and social benefit to the UK.
Applications are welcome from across a broad range of engineering and technology areas. Including research topics currently considered basic science, but which now require engineering ways of thinking to drive them towards application, and in more-established technology areas where the applicant has identified a high-impact novel approach. The Academy is not prescriptive in defining the focus of Chairs, except that they require a powerful case to be made for the value of an extended long-term vision through to application. The appointed Chairs will:
- Lead major research, translation, and innovation programmes around key emerging technologies.
- Build world-leading centres of excellence in strategically important technologies, supporting their commercialisation and adoption.
- Build and maintain a strong network of industrial and other partners to facilitate technology commercialisation and the creation of significant UK economic and social benefit.
What we offer
Award value of £2,500,000 covering employment and research costs. The award enables sustained focus on advancing the technology to application in a strategic manner over a period of up to 10 years. As well as funding for their post, the appointed Chairs will be provided with:
- A mentor, who is a Fellow of the Academy, with expertise relevant to the programme of research, to provide independent advice and guidance throughout the duration of the award.
- Networking and training opportunities with and through the Academy’s Fellowship and events programme.
- Support for Global Talent visa for applicants based outside the UK.
How to apply
The Royal Academy of Engineering welcomes applications from high-calibre researchers currently based outside the UK, in line with the UK Innovation Strategy to make the UK a global hub of innovation and to attract talent to the UK.
The Academy is committed to diversity and encourages applications from women and other groups who are currently underrepresented across engineering.
The closing date for applications is 4pm (UK local time) on Tuesday 22 February 2022.