Shenzhen Bay Laboratory (SZBL) is a newly established Guangdong Provincial Laboratory located in the heart of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area (GBA). Jointly launched by the City of Shenzhen and Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, SZBL is financially supported by the Shenzhen City with an initial five-year budget of 13 billion CNY (~2 billion US$). SZBL aspires to be a hub for world-class research at the forefront of science and innovation, spurring novel solutions to the grand issues challenging mankind.To fully realize its potential, SZBL will address national needs by creating a new model to drive ground-breaking discoveries and boost innovation-oriented biotechs in the GBA. Our scientists will pursue biomedical research at an internationally competitive level with a common vision to push the boundaries of knowledge in disease and life sciences. SZBL is committed to the improvement of human well-being. SZBL seeks to play an important role for the development of GBA. It will serve as a hub for health sciences through combining the advanced resources and intellectual capital of GBA and PKU to enable high-quality research at the frontier of biomedical science. Initial areas of research and discovery in SZBL will include bioinformatics, biomedical engineering and the discovery of innovative drug with the goal of controlling and preventing major diseases regarding but not limited to cancer, metabolic syndromes, cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disorders, and infectious diseases.
The Center for Translational Research affiliated to the Institute of Chemical Biology at Shenzhen Bay Laboratory is a professional transformation platform dedicated to new drug transformation research built by Shenzhen Bay Laboratory. The translational research consists of preclinical drug discovery and early drug development expertise and capabilities for small molecules, peptides/proteins and antibodies. Our state of the art facilities will include high throughput screening (HTS) and diverse small molecule libraries (1 million), with capabilities for medicinal chemistry optimization, peptide/protein and antibody engineering, PK and in vivo efficacy studies. Researchers will work closely with scientists from international research institutions, as well as collaborators within the Shenzhen Bay Laboratory and other institutions, to translate biomedical basic discoveries into innovative new drugs that will impact the major diseases of unmet need.
The Center for Translational Research welcomes applicants of all nationalities and will provide an internationally competitive salary.
We are seeking multiple Director/Senior Investigator level and Investigator and Assistant Investigator level researchers in Disease Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, and In Vivo Pharmacology to join the drug discovery team of the Center for Translational Research, in order to discover and develop new small molecules and biological agents for unmet medical needs in the field of metabolic diseases, tumor immunology and neurodegenerative diseases.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Responsible for developing and leading key research projects in alignment with the center’s and Institute’s mission and goals.
• Provide successful project and team leadership of both in-house and/or CRO resources.
• Use in depth literature search skills to generate new project proposals and maintain a pipeline for successful preclinical candidates.
• Work with senior management to identify and develop new relevant and viable research projects and directions.
• Author research reports, generate scientific presentations and manage research timelines.
Independently design, execute, interpret, and report research results. Additionally, oversee consistency and accuracy of results and documentation. Exercise judgment to make decisions and solve problems independently. Escalate issues and risks that significantly affect timelines.
Strong communication skills that enable leadership of and coordination with colleagues, CRO personnel, and management teams to direct projects effectively.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
Directors/Senior Investigators are independently responsible for leading overall strategic as well as day-to-day research activities. Work collaboratively with teams in coordination of group goals. Work on extremely complex problems and require the ability to adapt quickly and evaluate intangible variables. Exercise judgement in developing methods, techniques, and criteria for obtaining results.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Manage scientific staff related to applicable projects. May have oversight of CRO relationship working to ensure goals and timelines are met accordingly.
• Director/Senior Investigator Candidates must have Ph.D. in a pertinent scientific field with 7+ years of related scientific experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience; Investigator/Assistant Investigator Candidates must have Ph.D. in a pertinent scientific field with 2+ years of postdoctoral training and 2-5+ years of drug discovery experience.
• Strong bench skills and a proven track record in area of specified science.
• Demonstration of highly successful project execution across disease areas using in-house and/or CRO resources leading to preclinical candidates for further clinical development.
• Demonstrated skills in managing, mentoring and supervising team members; commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals.
• Impeccable attention to detail, and excellent ability to perform hands on experiments, research, design, and organize project designs and maintain detailed documentation.
• Able to contribute in a meaningful way to scientific discourse.
• Prior involvement in drug discovery and early development in pharma settings are highly preferred.
• Highly motivated, creative, and able to maintain excellent documentation of their work including writing grant applications and third-party partnership plans.
• Able to collaborate proficiently and communicate effectively with colleagues, project management and senior leadership.
Applicants should submit (1) curriculum vitae, and list of references that can provide letters of recommendation to email: email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of the center, with or without notice.