Dr. Patrick Hwu’s lab at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida is seeking a highly motivated post-doctoral fellow to join his multi-disciplinary laboratory team focused on understanding the underlying mechanisms of cancer-immune system interactions and developing novel translational cellular immunotherapies with the goal to improve current treatments for cancer patients.
Dr. Hwu’s research is engaged in developing innovative immunotherapy approaches to trigger potent adaptive antitumor immunity to overcome resistance to cancer immunotherapy. His studies are focused on gene-modified T-cells, development of translational combinatorial therapies which include immune checkpoint blockade and adoptive T-cell therapy, and identification of targetable T-cell molecules to boost the proliferation, migration and function of tumor reactive T-cells.
- The candidate will be given the opportunities for developing new skills, professional growth, and career goals.
- The candidate will receive outstanding mentorship from expert faculty and participate in multiple academic activities.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Must have extensive practical experience with in vitro and in vivo techniques in a research lab setting.
- Experience in biomedical engineering, assay development, molecular biology techniques, and gene editing methodologies, including CRISPR technology is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with adoptive T-cell therapies, chimeric antigen receptor (CART-T) and/or transgenic T-cell receptor (TCR) development is strongly preferred.
The candidate is expected to:
- Execute genetic in vivo and in vitro CRISPR screen with our team.
- Develop chimeric antigen receptors for T-cell therapy in a mentored role.
- Work reliably with a team to execute projects, complete routine laboratory duties, and maintain excellent records.
- Design experiments, develop independent projects, and draft manuscripts
- Mentor undergraduate and PhD students, as appropriate
- Collaborate professionally and collegially with others in the lab and with other laboratories from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Be enthusiastic about their role in improving the lives of cancer patients
- be well-organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to effectively and reliably document protocols and experiments in ways that can be understood and replicated by others.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Must have completed an MD or PhD in biomedical engineering, biomedical sciences, immunology, or similar field.
- Candidates with more than 2 years prior postdoctoral experience will be given preference.
- Should have at least one first author publication.
How to apply:
Please be sure to attach a single PDF file that includes a cover letter summarizing your previous research experience and accomplishments. A personal statement of scientific interests and goals, current CV with recent publications, and contact information for three references for Dr. Patrick Hwu to review. Questions regarding the position can be sent to the lab manager Ana Dominguez at Ana.Dominguez@Moffitt.org.
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. Moffitt seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.