The IUF – Leibniz Research Institute for Environmental Medicine investigates the molecular mechanisms through which particles, radiation and environmental chemicals harm human health. The main working areas are environmentally induced aging of the cardiopulmonar system and the skin as well as disturbances of the nervous and immune system. Through development of novel model systems the IUF contributes to the improvement of risk assessment and the identification of novel strategies for the prevention / therapy of environmentally induced health damage.
At the IUF, several research groups are working on how environmental factors (ultraviolet radiation, air pollution, food chemicals) affect the physiology and pathophysiology of the skin and other barrier organs. We work primarily with cell cultures and mouse models and to a lesser extent with skin biopsies and 3D organotypic skin cultures. The scope of these complex 3D skin equivalents will now be extended and adapted to the questions of the IUF.
The core unit model development is offering a position for a
Cell Biologist (skin expert) (f/m/d) (Post-doc position).
The position is to be filled at IUF as of September 1st, 2019
Within the framework of a core facility:
· Establishing a laboratory for the creation of complex 3D organotypic cultures or organoid cultures and expand the range of skin models already implemented at the IUF for a wide variety of applications;
· Further development of these models and exploration of new areas of application including complementation with immune cells.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biology, Physiology, Biochemistry, or related field;
- Experience with cell culture, ex-vivo models, organoids and complex 3D cell culture models;
- In depth understanding of skin physiology, cell types and co-culture systems;
- Knowledge of microscopy, histology and immunohistochemistry are required;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required (English and German).
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES
· Positive can-do attitude, responsible and responsive, and maintain a high degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness;
· Self-motivated, highly organized, meticulous hands-on habits, keen to accuracy, and attention to detail;
· Strong quantitative and analytical skills, able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information;
· Energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace. Competent of high performance in independent work and coordinated efforts in implementing group projects;
· Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work and keep well organized records;
· Evaluate results, analyze and interpret data to prepare projects updates, meeting presentations and research reports for documentation and publication.
The position is limited for to 2 years with the option of a permanent position. The weekly working time totals 39 hours and 50 minutes. Remuneration is given in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement for the employees of the states (TV-L). Salary will be according to TV-L (E13).
Please address your application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, references, qualification certificates), preferably electronically, with the reference no. “CBSKIN2” to:
Dr. Andrea Rossi – Prof. Charlotte Esser
IUF – Leibniz-Institut für umweltmedizinische Forschung
Auf’m Hennekamp 50
Application documents submitted by post are not returned. Documents for applicants not considered are destroyed appropriately once the procedure is complete.