University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna – responsibility for Humans and Nature. We work for the sustainable use and protection of natural resources.
The Department of Economics and Social Sciences, Institute of Social Ecology wishes to fill
a career position in compliance with § 99 (5) UG (tenure-track) in the field of Social Ecology with a focus on socio-ecological long-term research
Working time: 40 hours a week
Term of the employment relationship: limited to a period of 6 years
Allocation in compliance with the Collective Agreement for University Staff to job group: B1 lit. b
Gross monthly salary (depending on previous eligible experience) at least: € 3,889.50 (14 x a year, in addition we also offer an attractive career development programme and an extensive range of social benefits)
§99 (5) positions offer academics with high potential and the relevant achievements the opportunity of an academic carrier ranging from a postdoc position to that of assistant professor and on to associated professor. The position of associated professor can be achieved at the latest six years after the appointment. §99 (5) positions are aimed at academics with a doctorate/PhD degree, with high potential, who are close to or have already successfully completed a habilitation. Experience at other universities or research institutes abroad is expressly welcome.
Tasks and focus areas
- Research in the field of Social Ecology with a focus on socio-ecological long-term research
- Development of concepts and methods for an inter- and transdisciplinary analysis of long-term changes in society-nature relations, informed by socio sciences or humanities
- Focus on societal problems induced by industrialisation in a multi-scale approach (local to global)
- Teaching and supervision or co-supervision of final papers within the scope of legal possibilities
- Transfer of knowledge and the promotion of junior researchers in line with the social responsibility of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences
- Assumption of administrative tasks within the framework of university self-administration
- Acquisition and management of competitively funded national and international research projects
- Independent teaching in German and English in the field of Social Ecology
- Representation of the field at scientific conferences and other events (in Austria and abroad) as well as through high-ranking scientific publications
- Collaboration in the interdisciplinary fields of competence of BOKU as well as in national and international scientific networks
- Completed doctorate in a relevant field
- Sound professional experience in the scientific field as a postdoc
- Excellent publication achievements as well as international orientation and recognition
- Willingness and ability to lead your own research team incl. the necessary funding this requires (third-party funding)
- Enthusiasm for outstanding teaching
- Experiences in the acquisition and management of interdisciplinary, competitive research projects in the field of socio-ecological long-term research
- International publications on socio-ecological long-term research especially with regard to the links between social and ecological dimensions of sustainability
- Proof of ability to develop and apply interdisciplinary approaches and methods
- National and international visibility and networking at relevant conferences and in relevant research communities
Other desired qualifications
- Experience abroad as well as in teaching and leadership at universities and research institutions
- Initiative and commitment to further qualification
- Management and communication skills
- Very good ability and willingness to work in a team
- Ability to form networks and willingness to participate in public relations activities
- Very good knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Closing date for applications: 7th of April 2020
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna seeks to increase the number of its female faculty and staff members. Therefore qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. In case of equal qualification, female candidates will be given preference unless reasons specific to an individual male candidate tilt the balance in his favour.
Please submit your application in English incl.
- Curriculum vitae with detailed presentation of professional, teaching and research activities
- List of all publications (refereed & non-refereed), lectures and projects
- Electronic transmission of the PDF files of five own publications which you consider to be particularly important
- Rough concept for future plans in research and teaching including your contribution to the scientific profile of the Department
- Teaching portfolio including evaluation results
- Brief explanation why you think you should be particularly suitable for this position (max. 1 page)
- Presentation of planned research priorities at BOKU in the field of long-term social-ecological research (max. 4 pages A4)
and indicating the reference code 47 to email@example.com until
7th of April 2020.
Applicants are not entitled to reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs incurred as a result of the selection procedure.