Call for Application: Team Science Grants 2019
Applications open: 16 May 2019
Application Deadline: 17 June 2019
The Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance invites applications for its Team Science Grants (TSG) scheme, which will fund teams that bring together high-quality scientists from multiple institutions with complementary skills, knowledge, and resources to address an important health challenge for India. High-risk, high-reward proposals can also seek funding under this programme.
It is envisioned that the funded projects will be multi-institutional and have an inter-disciplinary approach and a suitable research management plan and structure. Though not mandatory, international collaborations are encouraged.
Eligibility and provision
The applying team should—
- Have at least three Principal Investigators (PIs), including one as Lead PI who would manage and lead the team.
- Bring different expertise or disciplinesto address the research problem within the remit of India Alliance.
- Have no more than two PIs from the same institution, and a minimum of two institutions should be included.
The Lead PI and all PIs should/can—
- Have PhD/MD/MBBS-MS/MPH or equivalent, with at least 5 years of experience in running an independent research group or lab.
- Demonstrate a record of achievements appropriate for their career stage.
- Have competitive grant/fellowship(s)
- Have tenure at their respective host institutions for the entire duration of the grant.
- be of any age and nationality
(Note: In a given round, no more than one application would be entertained from an individual as either Lead PI or PI.)
The competent authority or head of the sponsoring host institutions should—
- Guarantee all support required to carry out the funded research
- Guarantee status and benefits available to PI as to other academic staff of similar seniority at that institution
- Be able to sign up to India Alliance’s Award conditions and Award policies.
For details on eligibility and provisions as well as sponsor and sponsoring host institutions, please click here.
A grant of up to INR 10 crores (including 10% overheads) is available for a 5-year project. Applicants can seek support for items such as hiring research staff/researchers, purchasing equipment and research supplies, and setting up a research management structure (if needed). The budget plan should justify each line item.
Note: Projects of duration less than 5 years or budget of over INR 10 crores will be deemed ineligible. In addition, the scheme will not provide funds to build any physical spaces.
The major sections of the application are—
- Details of the applicants
- The proposed research plan (with built-in milestones for evaluation)
- Budget of the proposed project (with a resource-sharing plan)
- Official support letter from the head of the sponsoring institution(s)
Details about the application process and evaluation models are available here.
Applications open: 16 May 2019 (Application forms will be available at the India Alliance website)
Applications close: 17 June 2019 (2:00 PM, IST)