HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal – advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
The Business Operations Analyst is responsible for supporting the development and execution of Janelia Research Campus’ operations technology portfolio. Specific responsibilities include representation of Janelia on appropriate Product Owner Councils, as well as partnering with all HHMI Capability Teams as one of Janelia’s business operations leaders. With the Manager of Administrative Operations, this position liaises with Janelia’s Administrative and Science Operations departments to identify technology needs, collect requirements, develop functional designs, identify solution options and assess urgency to effectively counsel the Senior Director of Administrative Operations and Facilities on portfolio prioritization. The position also collaborates with Janelia Labs for non-research related technology needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to analyze, plan, design and launch efficient operations systems to support core organizational functions and business processes.
- Analyzes business needs and synthesizes and presents critical factors for decision making (including requirements, options, scope and risks).
- Analyzes complex problems and ascertains solutions including the end results and methods of accomplishing the results.
- Able to quickly absorb new concepts or technologies and apply them to HHMI’s needs.
- May lead and/or participate in requirements gathering and process design sessions.
- Identifies conflicting practices within the scope of a project and recommends alternative courses of action.
- Provides regular status updates both oral and written.
- Recognizes and researches problems and identifies underlying causes, makes recommendations and implements solutions.
- Sits with Manager of Administrative Operations as Janelia Research Campus Product Owner Council (POC) member:
- Works with business owners to define business value and priority of each project request
- Represents Janelia projects at quarterly prioritization events
- Participates in capability team demonstrations and sprint planning meetings
- May facilitate support for Janelia applications that are in production.
- Collects technology needs and specific project requirements from business owners and effectively translates for capability teams.
- Leads and/or participates in user acceptance testing for Janelia application development.
- May lead or contribute to change management efforts associated with new technology deployments.
- Knowledgeable, curious and comfortable with all kinds of technology, including hardware, software and social media platforms
- Effective problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Knowledge of business operation systems and processes Ability to collaborate effectively in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to handle all types of situations
- Advanced in Microsoft Office and collaboration tools
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills at all levels of the organization; excellent interpersonal skills to build credibility through relationship building
- Able to develop and deliver technical training and change management sessions
- Able to effectively plan, prioritize, and multitask many responsibilities, solve problems and implement decisions effectively, involving the right people in the process
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong customer service mindset
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2 years working in requirements gathering and managing relationships with business functions preferred
- Project management experience desirable
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.