At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
As an Associate Principal Scientist, you will lead projects within the DNA damage response in vitro pharmacology group in Oncology Bioscience based in Cambridge (UK).
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas – breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers. As well as other tumour types, these are being targeted through three key platforms – DNA damage response, epigenetics and genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, underpinned by personalised healthcare and biomarker technologies.
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us!
Main duties and responsibilities:
You will be a Bioscience Leader in the in vitro pharmacology DDR team within a matrix management environment and have responsibility for diverse scientific activities including profiling novel agents through to proof of concept. You will work with a team of multidisciplinary scientists that are able to support oncology in vitro target validation, compound profiling and mechanistic/disease positioning studies. You will be responsible for leading the biology on a DNA damage response project. You will work collaboratively across groups to manage or support projects to impact on the AZ oncology pipeline.
Key responsibilities include:
- Contributing to strategies and defining objectives to ensure the in vitro pharmacology group successfully delivers against broader AstraZeneca goals and objectives.
- Maintain an understanding and awareness of internal and external developments that could affect the discipline, and share this with team members.
- Identifying new drug development opportunities and conveying ideas to team members to foster a working environment that promotes science and encourages innovation on drug discovery projects.
- To contribute as part of the leadership team influence the strategic direction of the DNA damage response group.
- Building networks with other team leaders and external experts to learn about new developments, leveraging opportunities and share best practices.
- Ensuring that your own work and the work of your team is of a high ethical standard and complies with good laboratory standards, Safety Health and Environment standards and all other relevant internal and external regulations.
- A PhD in oncology or equivalent experience in DDR biology or a relevant area of cancer biology
- Expert reputation within the industry and strong publication record.
- Broad and comprehensive understanding of most areas of oncology, in particular DNA damage response biology.
- Experience generating data to gain an understanding of drug targets in disease
- Experience providing innovative solutions to complex problems within drug discovery projects.
- Project management experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Extensive experience within the pharmaceutical industry and the drug discovery process across different project stages.
- Proven ability to be an effective leader within multidisciplinary teams.
- Requires a thorough understanding of therapeutic needs and therapies in the disease area.
Location: Chesterford Research Park, UK
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Closing Date: 30th November 2019
Next steps, if you feel you are suitable for the role please apply.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.