Bioinformatics Team Leader
Ocular Genomics Institute, Massachusetts Eye and Ear and Harvard Medical School
A talented bioinformaticist and team leader is sought to join the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Bioinformatics Center (MBC) of the Ocular Genomics Institute (OGI) at Mass Eye and Ear (MEE) and Harvard Medical School. The mission of the OGI is to improve our understanding of the genetic causes of inherited eye diseases, and develop genetically informed therapies to prevent vision loss from these disorders. MEE is a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, and is an international leader for treatment and research in both Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. The MBC conducts genetic and genomic research while also providing bioinformatics expertise to other clinical and research programs at MEE. The Center is seeking a highly motivated bioinformaticist to help with addressing the associated computing needs. The bioinformatics team leader will apply bioinformatics principles and methods to assist scientists in analyzing, filtering, and processing Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), microarray, and proteomic data. This is a multifaceted position with responsibilities in software development and support, database development and administration, and genomic research. The team leader will serve as the liaison between the OGI faculty and the bioinformatics programmers in the MBC, providing computational support, assisting in prioritization of work, and serving to facilitate completion of projects in a timely manner.
• Lead the team of bioinformaticists in the MEEI Bioinformatics Center. This includes helping establish work priorities and delegating projects to other team members.
• Development and maintenance of bioinformatics pipelines
• Develop custom bioinformatic tools to analyze data from genomics experiments, and perform bioinformatics analyses.
• Design and facilitate the maintenance of databases used to process and analyze genomic, proteomic or other biological information.
• Install, maintain and update required bioinformatic software and databases on local servers.
• Oversee the OGI cluster management, including: update and maintain cluster software, maintain network storage system, plan and design future cluster hardware updates and a backup system.
• Work closely with other computational and experimental scientists to design experiments
• Help maintain collaborations with other research groups, such as the Center for Mendelian Genomics at the Broad.
• Provide IT-related and bioinformatic help, training and advice to lab researchers as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in bioinformatics, computer science, or a related quantitative discipline, and 3+ years of related work experience required.
• Experience in applying rigorous statistical methods to biological data
• Experience in analyzing NGS data
• Coding in Bash, Python and R are required, Perl is desired
• Experience as Hight Performance Computing (HPC) cluster user
• Experience with SQL and NoSQL Databases
• Experience with web programming/HTML
• Analyses involving large, publicly-available datasets (e.g. GTEx, gnomAD)
• Experience with Linux server administration
• Experience administrating HPC clusters
The lab is located in the main hospital building of Mass Eye and Ear at 243 Charles Street, in a standard research and office work space that is part of MEE’s Ocular Genomics Institute. The bioinformaticist will work amongst other computational biologists and computer scientists in the Bioinformatics Center of the OGI, and will be part of a larger multidisciplinary research cummunity, which includes geneticists, clinical scientists, and experimental biologists.
Interested candidates should send their CV, a cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.