We are recruiting a Bioinformatics Support Engineer for the Pathogen Informatics team, a software development and support team in the Parasites and Microbes department at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
About Us/The Role:
As a dynamic team we share all elements of our work, so you will also be involved in a variety of software development projects. In close collaboration with the scientists on site, we develop workflows and platforms to productionize large-scale surveillance activities for infectious diseases, such as malaria, pneumonia and COVID-19. We also support the scientists by developing and deploying software and services that advance their research. This position is an excellent opportunity for a junior candidate to gain significant experience in areas such as genome sequencing, software development practices, and bioinformatics analysis. Moreover, you will support the world-leading research groups in our department and make a difference in the fight on infectious diseases to improve global health.
We are looking for an excellent communicator and problem solver with a degree in bioinformatics or a related discipline, a strong interest in analysing biological data, and a passion for providing a high level of customer service. In a team of software developers and bioinformaticians you will act as frontline support for informatics requests from members of the department. This includes monitoring the helpdesk and responding to submitted user issues, managing and performing software installations, and ensuring smooth running of data through automated analysis pipelines.
• MSc in Bioinformatics or a related discipline
• Solid understanding of genome sequencing, typical sequencing data processing, involved tools and file formats
• Confident usage of the UNIX command line
• Demonstrable experience in at least one modern programming language
• Ability to explain technical issues effectively and in an understandable manner to non-technical users
• Ability to quickly understand scientific and technical challenges
• Ability to prioritise, manage workload, and deliver agreed activities consistently
• Ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders at all levels
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience of providing frontline technical support within a scientific environment
• Experience with modern software development practices, including version control and continuous integration
• Experience of running software on compute clusters
• Experience with scientific data processing workflow systems such as Nextflow
Closing Date: 20th July 2020
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Wellcome Genome Campus.
We have recently been awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.