SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. For over 40 years, our research has produced breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology and children’s diseases, and is anchored by our NCI-designated cancer center and advanced drug discovery capabilities.
Dr. Adams’ lab investigates the impact of chromatin and epigenetics on cellular senescence, aging and cancer. In particular, the lab hypothesizes that age-associated changes in chromatin and epigenetic programming contribute to the dramatic age-associated increase in incidence of cancer. While age is the biggest single risk factor for most cancers, the reason for this is current poorly understood.
A Bioinformatics Specialist position is available in the lab of Prof. Peter D. Adams for ambitious, independent and motivated candidates to join the team investigating the epigenetics of aging and cancer at Sanford-Burnham-Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, San Diego. The successful candidate will use computational and bioinformatics approaches to investigate age-associated epigenetic events, derived from mouse tissues and cell culture models, are related to epigenetic hallmarks of aging and disease, most notably cancer. Datasets will include ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, DNA methyl-seq and other large-scale epigenomic and chromatin analyses, including at the single-cell level, as well as results from high throughput chemical and RNAi/CRISPR phenotypic screens. The work schedule will be between 35-40 hours per week.
- Performs computational analysis and integration of large transcriptomic and epigenetic datasets
- Provides access of public genetic, epigenetic and transcriptomic large datasets, for integration with those datasets generated in the lab
- Utilizes existing lab data analysis pipelines
- Builds new data analysis pipelines, e.g. for single cell RNA-seq and ATAC-seq.
- Manages large dataset storage, in databases, lab wiki and lab UCSC browser
- Presents results to lab members at weekly lab meetings
- Presents results and data within SBP, local La Jolla meetings and national and international meetings, as appropriate
- Maintains and initiates collaborations between Adams lab and other labs in SBP, San Diego, US and worldwide
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in bioinformatics is preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years’ experience OR equivalent studies, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General familiarity with wet lab assays
- Excellent bioinformatics and programming skills (e.g. Perl, Python, C/C++, Java, R or Web applications)
- Strong command of Linux/UNIX operating system
- Strong knowledge and skills in bioinformatics, statistics and next-generation sequencing data analysis
- Ability to use current bioinformatics tools and have an in depth knowledge of advanced sequencing and array-based technologies
- Communicates effectively and collaborates well with Principal Investigators and their team members
- Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Possesses strong attention to detail, analytical and time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE