Ming Wai Lau Centre for Reparative Medicine (MWLC) aims to contribute to the improvement of human health by conducting cutting-edge research in reparative medicine and related subjects, by creating a new platform for synergies between academia and innovation in Sweden and Hong Kong as well as China, and fostering future leaders in both academia and industry.
MWLC has two nodes, one in Hong Kong and one in Stockholm, currently with 4 and 6 scientific teams, respectively, specialising in different aspects of reparative medicine. The ten teams closely interact as one centre for collaborative efforts via a series of workshops and seminars interchangeably held in Hong Kong and Stockholm, as well as other routine investigator-initiated communications.
Applications are invited for a Bioinformatics Scientist position in Reparative Medicine at MWLC placed in Hong Kong.
The successful candidate for the position will be part of a larger network of experienced bioinformaticians in Hong Kong and Stockholm. The Hong Kong node also includes a single-cell profiling division.
The applicant will participate in the research activities at the MWLC centre. This includes contributing to experimental planning, data management, analysis and interpretation of the data, as well as preparing scientific publications for high profile journals. The projects combine concepts of genomics/epigenomics and technology in single-cell profiling (scRNA-seq, scATAC-seq), CRISPR gene editing (CROP-seq) and ChiP-Seq.
Skills and personal qualities
We are looking for a highly motivated person interested in the area of research of the MWLC. The candidates should have a collaborative approach to research, working productively in a team. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential for this position. We welcome applications from candidates with PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, biology or other relevant fields.
Skills of the successful candidate:
- demonstrable skills in bioinformatics or computational biology
- proven experience in the analysis of DNA or RNA next generation sequencing data
- proven experience in the analysis and interpretation of RNA-seq, Chip-seq or ATAC-seq data
- firm knowledge in Unix/Linux, R and at least one scripting language (eg. Perl or Python)
- basic knowledge of relevant biological areas
- proficiency in written and spoken English
- experience in the analysis of single cell genomics data, such as scRNA-seq, scATAC-seq or CROP-seq is preferable but not required
This is a two-year full-time position, with the possibility of renewal. As the assignment will be located in the Hong Kong node, Hong Kong labour laws will be applied.
A competitive remuneration package including 10% on top of basic salary (fully-taxable) intended as pension will be offered in addition to MPF employer’s contribution and medical benefits. Applicants have possibility to obtain housing allowance.
An employment application must contain the following documents in English:
- A personal letter highlighting previous scientific accomplishments, summary of current work, technical expertise and motivation why the candidate is interested in joining the MWLC (max. 2 pages)
- A complete curriculum vitae including work history, title of the thesis, and a complete list of publications
- Names, positions and contact details of two references who are familiar with the applicant’s recent research and training
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.