We are seeking a talented and highly motivated bioinformatician to join the Systems Biology and Computational Genomics Department at ultra-modern research facilities at Sidra Medicine, Qatar.
Attractive tax-free package with excellent prospects for career development.
Fixed Term (4 years) with possibility of extension
Sidra Medicine is a state of the art academic and medical center. Its clinical focus is on the specialty care of women and children. It’s vision is to be a beacon of learning, discovery and exceptional care, ranked among the top medical centers in the world. Achieving this vision encompasses three essential activities: Patient and Family Centered Care, Health Education and Biomedical Discovery
The Research Branch houses several hundred researchers working on many aspects of human health. It covers Basic, Translational, and Clinical trials and Bioinformatics research. The Research Branch comprises two research floors totaling 10,000 m2 and 9 smaller “satellite laboratories” throughout the hospital. The Research Branch houses basic laboratories as well as state-of-the-art core facilities for genomics, deep phenotyping and imaging.
The Bioinformatics research specialist will conduct research in computational genomics, statistical genetics, data mining, deep learning and in silico systems biology. It will involve applying and developing computational methods for the processing and analyzing large-scale genetic data from state-of-the-art technologies notably long-read sequencing data from PacBio, BioNano and 10X Genomics, in addition to omics and phenotypic human data. The research will be translation-oriented focusing on unravelling the molecular underpinning of biological traits and diseases notably those prevalent in Qatar and the Middle Eastern region, with the goal of devising novel therapeutic targets and approaches. It will involve applying and developing novel computational methods for large-scale analysis of genetic, omic and phenotypic data, denovo assembly, linkage and association analysis and deep learning and modelling.
The bioinformatician will be responsible for contributing to study design and execution, scientific presentation and publication in line with the department’s research program. He/She is expected to be productive, interactive with other research personnel, and provide training to undergraduate and graduate students.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Execute research studies by designing experiments, generating, processing and analyzing data to the highest standards
• Design and implement reusable bioinformatics analysis pipelines for processing of high throughput omics data notably long read sequencing PacBio/BioNano/10X data
• Integrate computational methods/pipelines with high performance computing clusters (HPC)
• Collaborate closely with Investigator and lab members on research projects including defining the scope of the collaboration, researching the scientific topics and implementing the appropriate bioinformatics solutions that meet project timelines
• Participate in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables
• Publish articles as results of the research in high quality peer-reviewed journals
• Communicate results to the relevant scientific community via published papers and academic conference presentations, both locally and internationally
• Travels occasionally to collaborating institutions for the purpose of the research study;
• Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
In view of the evolving needs and opportunities within Sidra, this position may be required to perform other duties as assigned and reporting relationships may vary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor and preferably a postgraduate degree (Masters, PhD) in a quantitative filed ideally statistical genetics, bioinformatics or computer Science
• 5-7 years experience working with high throughput technologies (next-generation sequencing omics technologies and/or PacBio, 10X Genomics and BioNano)
• Strong background in programming and algorithms. Fluent in one programming language (Python, C, C++ or Java) and familiarity with scripting languages (bash, Perl)
• Knowledge of Unix operating system, terminal and bash
• Familiarity with programming techniques for analyzing data sets that do not fit in memory
• Numpy/Scipy/HDF5 experience is a plus
• Experience working with de novo assembly methods such as Falcon is a plus
• Experience working with BIG DATA (NGS data in multi-TB scale)
• Experience using relational databases, SQL and / or structured data formats (e.g. HDF5)
• Familiarity with genome alignment software (bowtie2, bwa, tophat, etc.) is a plus
• Ability to use a compute cluster (LSF, SGE)
• Knowledgeable in scientific research methods and evaluation of research results, and ability to develop and maintain own knowledge and skills at the forefront of field
• Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse team
• Good knowledge in statistical and ‘big data’ analysis
• Academic and /or industrial research experience with publications in peer-reviewed journals and presenting at international conferences
• Demonstrable scientific excellence, including a reasonable track record of publications in high quality peer-reviewed journals and/or conferences.
• Work experience in a clinical research laboratory setting/hospital-affiliated institution or in biotechnology industry is a plus
• Fluency in written and spoken English
Interested persons should apply bellow and also send a CV, statement of research interests and the names of three references to: Syed Ali, Recruitment Specialist via email Sali2@sidra.org (Include “Research Specialist IV- Systems Biology and Computational Genomics – Nature Jobs” In the subject line)