St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has a unified mission to use cutting-edge research to discover the origins of disease, especially cancer, in order to facilitate advances in the treatment of disease that improve the lives of patients. The Blanchard Lab in the Department of Structural Biology at St. Jude is seeking a highly motivated and creative Bioinformatician to lead our genomics initiatives, using both existing and novel algorithms, to reveal insights into the role of translational control (using genomics and next-generation sequencing methods including RNA-Seq, ribosome profiling, Pro-Seq, etc.) in regulating physiological events related to cancer metastasis. Particular emphasis will be given to interrogating the role of non-coding RNAs from multi-copy gene families. The successful applicant will be an integral part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists, collaborating directly with team members to expertly solve challenges and empower them to make powerful quantitative insights. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Thorough knowledge of statistics, probability theory, machine learning algorithms, maximum likelihood optimization, Bayesian methods, and linear algebra.
- Proficient with R and associated bioinformatics packages (e.g., Bioconductor), MATLAB, and shell scripting.
- Ability to create compelling graphics, including interactive data visualization tools (e.g. R-Shiny, D3.js) and communicate research findings.
- Experience with distributed computing bioinformatics workflows on Unix/Linux and cloud environments.
- Thorough knowledge of software engineering and capability to produce robust, well-documented software with polished user interfaces.
- Expert ability to distill complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
MM Parks, CM Kurylo, JE Batchelder, CT Vincent, SC Blanchard.
Chromosome Research 27 (1-2), 89-93, 2019.
- Perform analysis on clinically relevant biological problems using a variety of bioinformatics workflows, including both genomics and time-series data (hidden Markov modeling).
- Uncover DNA sequence variation in high copy number genes utilizing both existing and novel algorithms for the analysis of RNA-Seq (Illumina) and next-generation DNA sequencing (NGS; e.g., PacBio) data.
- Characterize genome-wide modulation of the transcriptome and translatome using RNA-Seq and ribosome profiling during cellular differentiation events related to cancer metastasis.
- Uncover changes in the expression of gene isoforms with highly similar sequences (e.g., PacBio Iso-Seq; Illumina 10X).
- Collaborate with biologists to provide expertise in the statistical analysis of a variety of data types.
- Present results at group meetings and conferences.
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Master’s degree or PHD is preferred.
Bioinformatics Research Scientist
- Seven (7) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required.
- Five (5) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a Master’s degree.
- Two (2) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a PhD.
Lead Bioinformatics Analyst
- Six (6) years of relevant experience is required.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience may be acceptable with a Master’s degree.
- No experience may be acceptable with a PHD in Computer Science or Bioinformatics, with a background in the biological sciences.
- Experience in programming (Python, Java, C/C++, perl or other programming/scripting languages) under linux/unix environment is required.
- Experience with and the ability to deal with a wide range of users is required.
- Experience of independent data analyses and project management is required.
No Search Firms:St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.