BIOINFORMATICS DATA ANALYST
Center for Genomics and Systems Biology
NYU Abu Dhabi
The NYU Abu Dhabi Center for Genomics and Systems Biology is seeking a full-time data analyst to support the growing needs of multi-disciplinary research projects at NYUAD.
The position will focus mainly on secondary analysis of genomics sequence data (beyond initial data QC, alignment etc.) and interpretation of experimental results within a biological context. The data analyst will function as an experienced collaborator/consultant working closely with research labs on individual projects. She/he will also carry out independent assessments of new and existing tools/software and analysis methods.
The current research projects at NYUAD span gene expression analysis, variant discovery, population genetics, de novo genomes/transcriptomes, epigenetic modifications, single cell sequencing, RADseq, shotgun/amplicon metgenomics, and gene prediction.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an energetic and dynamic team involved in software engineering, research project analysis, and data visualization. A highly motivated and independent research professional who is keen to expand his/her knowledge and contribute to a vibrant research environment will be a welcome addition to our team.
Experience and Educational Requirements (essential)
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g. Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Life Sciences, Computer Science
- MSc in a relevant field (e.g. Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Life Sciences, Computer Science), with at least 3 years working experience.
- Substantial experience in the analysis of high throughput sequencing (HTS) data.
- Experience in variant calling analysis methods, tools, algorithms, and pipelines.
- Experience in HTS quality assessment (pre and post analysis).
- Experience in RNAseq analysis methods, tools, algorithms, algorithms, and pipelines relating to transcriptional profiling and differential gene expression analysis.
- Experience with modern statistical and algorithmic techniques as applied to genomics.
- Publication record in high-impact scientific journals.
Additional Experience (desirable)
- Experience in metagenomics analysis (amplicon and shotgun sequencing), ChIP-seq analysis, and/or de novo sequence assembly (genome/transcriptome).
- Experience in using Atlassian software (JIRA/Confluence).
- Direct working experience within a genomics core facility/sequencing center.
- Experience in delivering and preparing bioinformatics educational workshops/tutorials/seminars.
Computational Skills (essential)
- Experience with the Unix commandline and one or more of the following: Shell scripting, Python, Perl.
- Experience working in a High Performance computing environment (HPC) and using a job scheduler (preferably SLURM and/or PBS).
- Experience with the statistical environment R or related tools (Matlab, SAS).
Professional Attributes (essential)
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly motivated with ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary group.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills and ability to work on multiple projects Willingness to stay current with research trends and methods by participating in conferences, workshops and reading scientific journals.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of researchers who are passionate about what their work. We provide a fantastic working environment, with diverse research groups focusing on very interesting and multi-disciplinary projects.
This position is based in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. Salary and Benefits are competitive.
Applications will be accepted immediately. To be considered, all applicants need to submit a resume, research statement or cover letter, and two letters of reference, to: http://apply.interfolio.com/61885. For instructions and information on how to apply, please visit our website at http://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/careers/faculty-positions.html. If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com
New York University has established itself as a Global Network University. The network has three foundational degree-granting campuses: New York, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai, complemented by a network of eleven research and study-away sites across five continents. Our students are drawn from around the world and surpass all traditional recruitment benchmarks, both US and global. Our goal is to develop a cohort of international students attuned to and educated for an inclusive global society. Students and Faculty will circulate within the global network in pursuit of common research interests and the promotion of cross-cultural and interdisciplinary solutions for problems both local and global.
Entering its tenth year, NYU Abu Dhabi has recruited a cohort of faculty who are distinguished in their research and teaching. NYU Abu Dhabi’s highly selective liberal arts enterprise is complemented by an institute for advanced research, sponsoring cutting-edge projects across the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, and Engineering.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.