Job Title: Bioinformatician (Ref: B/1219)
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and BalversaTM partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY
…UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
We are looking for a senior bioinformatician with experience of working with WGS and GWAS data as well as other functional genomics data (eg. eQTLs). The candidate will be working on public and proprietary genomic datasets to support the evaluation of novel, genetically linked, protein targets and biomarkers. Initial work will focus on neurodegeneration (eg. Parkinson’s disease, ALS), with the objective of providing novel disease biology insights to inform patient selection and stratification for clinical trials. The position will also provide an opportunity to develop statistical genetics methods for integrating genetics, genomics and biological data.
- Mining and analysis of genomic and phenotypic data to enable prioritisation of target-disease associations/pathways, novel target evaluation and biomarker identification
- Developing and implementing computational methods to integrate genetics, genomics and biology data ( GWAS, eQTL, RNA/scRNA-seq, Hi-C) and other emerging high-throughput functional data
- Working closely with cross-functional project teams to provide bioinformatics support including identifying relevant datasets, methodologies and implementing analytical solutions
- Evaluation and development of cutting-edge technologies in the area of statistical genetics ( mendelian randomisation, fine mapping, co-localisation)
- Staying up-to-date with novel bioinformatics methodologies, tools and applications
- Degree in human genetics, statistical genetics, populations genetics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field
- Demonstrated expertise in GWAS data analysis and interpretation
- Strong statistical genetics expertise & statistical programming and scripting skills (R/Python/Perl)
- Experience with single-cell RNA sequencing or spatial transcriptomics would be beneficial
- Biological knowledge of neurological disorders, rare diseases and oncology would be advantageous
- Excellent communication skills, including an ability to work in cross-functional teams with computational and experimental scientists
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter, quoting the job reference: B/1219 to email@example.com
Closing Date: 31st January 2020
For information on Astex Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.astx.com
and for information on Otsuka Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.otsuka.co.jp