CeMM, the Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences is an international top research institute doing highly cooperative frontier research in molecular medicine, combining a deep understanding of the molecular machinery of the cell with pathophysiology in a unique medical setting ideal for the development of innovative translational ideas. CeMM is located in Vienna, Austria’s capital city and the world’s best city to live. We are currently searching for innovative, creative, ambitious scientists to become a CeMM Principal Investigator and to join our highly committed CeMM Faculty consisting of 17 research group leaders working hard and having fun conceiving and exploring new precision medicine approaches and contributing to revolutionize the medicine of the future.
- Do you want to join the CeMM Faculty, an international group of highly collaborative and supportive colleagues, who help you to achieve your goals?
- Are you fascinated by the inner workings of cells and biological systems and look for a place where intellectual rigor and curiosity are matched by inventive multidisciplinary approaches to deepen your investigations?
- Do you want to power-up your medically-oriented research with cutting-edge technologies?
- Do you want to obtain, secure, navigate and interpret big high-dimensional data to drive science and network medicine?
- Do you want to become a successful innovator and translate your findings to impact medical practice?
Avoid the Darwinian jungle places and enjoy developing your ideas in a supportive environment where everybody conspires to perform innovative medically-inspired research in a place that has devoted to excellence and truly supportive and empowering. At CeMM, in a light-filled building full of interdisciplinary scientists from all over the world, with top equipment and inspiring contemporary art and art rooms, you and your group will have access to the expertise and tools of all members, leading to a degree of collaborative papers that is five times higher than peer institutions and is oriented towards quality over quantity. Everybody at CeMM is knowledgeable of everybody else’s project and supports it. At CeMM you will be assisted in formulating your most competitive ERC grant ideas and helped with the application. The vigorous, strong partnership with the Medical University and the location in the middle of one of the world’s largest hospital is a unique asset. Vienna has just been ranked again worldwide #1 city in terms of quality of life. Together with the partnering institutes, such as the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Rare and Undiagnosed Disease and the St. Anna Cancer Research Institute, we are interested also in identifying positions for your partner, so we also are interested in applications of couples.
The research area
This position is perfectly suited for highly professional and passionate scientists who work on an important problem of molecular medicine, preferably but not exclusively, pertaining to high resolution cell biology, imaging, molecular pharmacology, cancer biology, infection biology, inflammation, hematopoiesis, hematological malignancies, vascular disorders, genome integrity, epigenetics, bioinformatics, systems biology.
Whom we are looking for
We are looking for MD and/or PhD scientists at their first independent appointment to apply their expertise close to a clinical setting. Required are scientific quality and originality, a successful track record of scientific achievements and profound expertise in a particular research field. Leadership skills, creativity, curiosity as well as a collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset are important ingredients to complete our new faculty member’s profile.
- a scientist with all your heart and interested in a Faculty position at CeMM
- full of ideas to translate the opportunities of the genomic age into better therapeutics and diagnostics
- a team player who enjoys working across disciplines and within a broader cultural and social context
- fully committed to participate and to further develop together with us the international CeMM PhD and PostDoc Program (from the common selection of candidates to teaching activities and the supervision of a students and postdocs)
- fully committed to actively participate in regular Faculty meetings, and our weekly scientific Friday Seminars
- fully committed to join thematic common and rare disease boards and other activities to bridge fundamental research with clinical impact
- an initial 5-years employment contract with mid-term review by our CeMM Scientific Advisory Board; option for extension of 3 + 1 years
- full commitment to help you train, develop, win ERC grants and ultimately be successful in securing attractive permanent positions; CeMM PIs were able to acquire 12 ERC Grants (Starting, Consolidator, Advanced, Synergy, and PoC) within the last 10 years, and several other prestigious and well-funded grants and awards
- the unique opportunity to become part of the CeMM Faculty and join our strong network of committed Faculty members. Benefit from lively scientific exchange, extend your network, collaborate and explore new possibilities – in science and beyond
- a starting package including a fully equipped laboratory, your Principal Investigator salary, 1 PhD Student, 1 Technical Assistant, an additional budget of € 25.000/year for consumables, facility services and travel expenses, and support in the successful securement of additional funds to recruit additional team members
- a competitive salary and benefits package, including health and pension insurance
- an international, family-friendly working environment with an open and inclusive culture
- access to CeMM facility services (sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, chemical screening, animal research etc.)
- access to top administrative and scientific support (HR, PR, grant service, purchasing, cafeteria etc.)
CeMM is an equal opportunity employer, and its strong intellectual environment stems from the international nature of its employees. We believe that diversity and different cultural backgrounds are a clear advantage to successful research, collaborations, and the day-to-day business. The official language at CeMM is English, and 45 different nationalities are represented at the institute. CeMM is work package leader in a H2020 funded gender equality project called LIBRA and harbors a mix of different talents, backgrounds, competences, and interests.
The mission of CeMM, the Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences is to achieve maximum scientific innovation in molecular medicine to improve healthcare. At CeMM, an international and creative team of scientists and medical doctors pursues free-minded basic life science research in a large and vibrant hospital environment of outstanding medical tradition and practice. CeMM’s research is based on post-genomic technologies and focuses on societally important diseases, such as immune disorders and infections, cancer and metabolic disorders. The goal of CeMM is to pioneer the science that nurtures the precise, personalized, predictive and preventive medicine of the future. CeMM is part of EU-LIFE, an alliance of 13 top research centers in life sciences to support and strengthen European research excellence. Giulio Superti-Furga is Scientific Director of CeMM since 2005.
Applications should be written in English and contain
- Curriculum Vitae with full publication list (and ORCID number)
- list of up to five most important papers with a short comment on why and what your contribution has been (each max. 80 words)
- funding track record or funding plans
- names and addresses of three references
- summary of research interests and objectives including how you could profit from and interact with the CeMM environment (max. 3 pages)
Please send your application files to email@example.com,
indicating the Reference-Code:
CeMM Starting PI
Application deadline: November 20, 2019
Hearing to take place end of January 2020