Associate Scientific Editor – Cell Chemical Biology & Structure
Cell Chemical Biology and Structure are seeking a Scientific Editor to help publish the best research across both areas. We are looking for candidates with strong communication skills and research experience in one or more of the topics published in the journals – see our Aims and Scope – https://www.cell.com/structure/home and https://www.cell.com/cell-chemical-biology/home.
The core responsibilities of this position include:
• Assessing submitted research papers
• Overseeing the peer review process
• Recruiting exciting research studies and review material
• Driving our front matter and diversity initiatives
• Contribute to the ongoing development of both journals
• Establishing relationships with researchers
• Representing both journal and Cell Press at scientific meetings and visits to research institutions
• Building effective working relationships with colleagues across Cell Press and beyond
• Contributing to broader Cell Press initiatives to shape the future of science communication
• Broad interests, love of science, and desire to learn. As an editor, you will need to understand the diverse science covered by Cell family of journals, and you will need to appreciate the issues and questions that drive different fields.
• A talent for clear communication. Good editors help authors make their message clear, concise, and compelling, so readers know why the science is important and how it will impact their work.
• Interest in digital communication and publishing trends.
• Creativity, willingness to experiment, with and desire to improve.
• The ability to organize, prioritize, and focus, and meet deadlines consistently is critical.
• Great interpersonal skills. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
• The ability to work successfully both independently and in a diverse global team.
• PhD in a relevant discipline.
• Applicants with a professional background such as running a research group or working in the biotech industry are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time in-house editorial position based in our offices in either the Netherlands or UK (London/Oxford UK or Amsterdam NL). We are also open to candidates who are eligible to be based in our China office locations (e.g. Shanghai/Beijing/Shenzhen China). Cell Press offers an attractive salary and benefits package and a stimulating working environment.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter indicating your reasons for being interesting in this role. Applications will be held in the strictest of confidence.
About Cell Press:
Cell Press, which is part of Elsevier, is a dynamic, interactive, diverse, and creative scientific community located in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and with additional offices in the UK, the Netherlands, and China. With 100+ PhD scientists, a forward-looking and experienced editorial support and digital production team, a results-driven marketing and press office, and a vibrant commercial partnership group, Cell Press aims to facilitate effective scientific exchange and is a leader in communicating the most important scientific findings.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.