The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science Translational Medicine are seeking a talented scientist, physician scientist or clinician interested in biomedical/translational research to join the Science Translational Medicine editorial team in Washington DC, USA or Cambridge, UK.
This editorial position is a fulltime position designed for a PhD scientist, MD/PhD physician scientist or MD clinician with research experience. We seek applicants who have a broad interest in translational research, the ability to rigorously and critically evaluate scientific and/or clinical research papers, as well as excellent communication and networking skills. Outstanding candidates in any biomedical field will be considered; expertise in one or more of the following fields would be an advantage: metabolism, diabetes/obesity, liver disease, gastroenterology, cell and gene therapy, respiratory disorders, clinical trials.
The tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the evaluation, review, and editing of submitted research manuscripts in a broad range of biomedical fields
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviewer comments with the editorial team, members of the Board of Reviewing Editors, and the authors
- Write short summaries of research papers for publication
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style
- Follow manuscripts through the production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Commission and edit Review, Perspective and Focus articles on a broad range of topics
- Commission and edit review and opinion content for special issues
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through meetings, lab visits and professional contacts
- Represent Science Translational Medicine at scientific meetings nationally and internationally.
The minimum qualifications to be competitive and considered for the position are:
- Mastery of one or more biomedical fields typically acquired through completion of a doctoral or medical degree in at least one biomedical or clinical research field
- 2 to 5 years post PhD or MD experience, including postdoctoral research experience in one or more translational fields and multiple publications
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a tight-knit dynamic team
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors
- Excellent outreach skills in order to effectively recruit top research papers to the journal
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing and modifying manuscripts
- Prior scientific editorial experience is not essential but is preferred
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by August 6, 2019. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
Application link: http://bit.ly/2WvSsv6
AAAS is the world’s largest general scientific membership organization. Please visit the AAAS careers website- http://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas to get more information, and to apply online.
AAAS is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.