Associate or Full Professor(Ladder, Ladder/In-Residence) – Chair, Department of Psychiatry
University of California, San Diego
The Department of Psychiatry (https://medschool.ucsd.edu/som/psychiatry/) pursues a tripartite mission of innovative research, education, and clinical care in a highly diverse environment. The Department and the School of Medicine at UC San Diego are committed to academic, scientific, and clinical excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body and seeks candidates whose leadership capabilities and experience, teaching, research, and/or community service have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to excellence.
The Department of Psychiatry invites applications for the role of Department Chair. Reporting to the Dean, School of Medicine and the CEO of the Health System, the Chair will be responsible for the Department’s overall management, academic planning, budget, personnel, resource allocation, and programs. Sufficient infrastructural support will be provided to allow the Chair to maintain a clinical practice. Given the interdisciplinary nature of education and research at UC San Diego, there will be opportunities to catalyze interactions among programs and foster a culture of learning across the continuum of biomedical research and education, including in partnership with the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Jacobs School of Engineering, and other campus partners.
In 1960, the University of California established UC San Diego as an integral part of the UC system. From the outset, it emphasized educating the next generation of California scientists and engineers, and expanded with the launch of the School of Medicine in 1968. Like its parent university, the school has placed a high standard upon linking basic and clinical discovery with outstanding, advanced methods for delivering compassionate care to patients.
At present, The successful candidate will be able to prioritize, grow, and support the current excellence in patient care; advance methods of medical education; and create opportunities to accelerate innovation and research. They will also identify additional recruits to help grow the scholarly activities of the department. As with similar roles, the Chair is expected to abide by UC San Diego’s Guidelines for Department Chairs Duties, including in the areas of faculty recruitment, diversity, service, and other policies and regulations, as well as a commitment to advancing these principles within the Department and the School.
The successful candidate will be appointed to the newly created Dr. Igor and JoAnn Grant Endowed Chair of the Department of Psychiatry.
Candidates with a clear commitment to excellence in the education and mentorship of trainees; and strong commitment to clinical care, research, teaching, and public service are encouraged to apply.
• Outstanding academic record with experience as a senior administrator in an academic medical center environment.
• Dynamic leadership skills and a a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking.
• Personal record of distinguished scholarly, research (basic and/or translational), and/or clinical accomplishments in psychiatry or a related field.
• History of fostering career development for early and mid-stage faculty.
• Ability to represent credibly, reliably, effectively, and tactfully the Dean to campus and external constituencies.
• Ability to qualify for appointment as an Associate or Full Professor at UC San Diego.
• Medical doctoral degree with specialty training in psychiatry and certification required to practice medicine in the state of California and eligible for a California Medical License.
• Experience leading a large academic medical department with multiple subspecialty divisions.
• Demonstrated leadership in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This position will have a standard term of five years with annual performance review and goal setting. A formal committee review that includes an external referee occurs every fifth year.
Appointment will be at the Associate or Full Professor Rank based on candidate’s experience and qualifications. Series will include 100% Ladder Rank or 50% Ladder Rank / 50% In-Residence with secured extramural funding.
A link to full descriptions of each series is provided for your review:
Ladder Rank Professor – see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/files/apm/apm-220.pdf
In-Residence Professor – see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/files/apm/apm-270.pdf
Applications must be submitted through the University of California San Diego’s Academic Personnel RECRUIT system at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF02081
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on the University of California pay scales.
Application materials must be submitted through the UC San Diego online application system. References (contact information or letter of recommendation) will be requested from all finalists.
UC San Diego is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Cover Letter
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html site for more information.
• Misc / Additional (Optional)
How to apply
• Create an ApplicantID
• Provide required information and documents
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1435976
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.