Are you ambitious to become a leader in chemical biology and do you have a strong record in the development of cutting-edge biochemical technologies solving life-science queries? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
Associate or Full Professor Chemical Biology
The chair of Chemical Biology is established to further strengthen links between chemistry-based research, computational approaches and cellular biology of the Department of Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPS). The chair will develop and apply novel and improved biochemical and cell-based approaches to identify targeted bioactive molecules with implications e.g. in the fields of oncology, inflammation and the microbiome. In addition, the chair will play a key role in educational programmes such as Pharmaceutical Sciences, the VU/UvA joint BSc degree of “Chemistry” and the MSc programme “Drug Discovery and Safety”. Research focus is on:
- Biologically encoded molecule libraries (e.g. peptide, antibody (Fab, scFv, VHH/ nanobodies) based on for example ribosome display, phage display, bacterial/yeast display or DNA encodes libraries, and/or
- Biochemical methods for the selective modification of biomolecules (e.g. incorporation of non-natural amino acids, biorthogonal reactions) for cellular investigations and/or therapeutic applications.
The successful candidate will introduce innovative biochemical methodologies to the VU, to promote multi-disciplinary research collaborations between chemical and biological disciplines.
- to play a leading role in the research program of the department of the department of CPS
- to play a central role in shaping and teaching the education portfolio of the division as embedded in the BSc and MSc programmes of CPS
- to acquire and manage national and international research grants
- to engage and manage research projects and collaborations with academic, industrial and governmental partners
- to demonstrate a continuous and creative output publishing in well-respected journals
- to perform managerial tasks for the department of CPS
- to play an active role in local, national and international research platforms
- candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree and demonstrate a strong track record in the field of interest including well-cited publications in top-10 peer reviewed journals of the field and/or relevant experience gained from research within industry or the public sector
- candidate must have a proven ability and/or potency to attract external grants in order to finance research
- candidate must demonstrate strong capabilities of leadership, management, collaboration, innovation and valorisation
- candidate is expected to be an inspiring teacher with a track record in undergraduate and/or graduate teaching programmes
- candidate must have experience with supervising, motivating and coaching of Ph.D. and MSc students, postdocs, and technicians
- candidate must have a basic qualification in teaching (‘BKO’) or willingness to attain this within two years after this appointment
- english fluency is expected and where appropriate, the candidate should be/are willing to speak the Dutch language
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of ? 5294.- and a maximum of 6738,- in accordance with salary scale UHD1, or a minimum gross monthly salary of 5582.- and a maximum of ? 8127,- in accordance with salary scale H2, depending on your experience and qualifications. The job profile (associate- or full professor) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1.0 FTE.
If you apply for the full professor position the initial employment contract will be for a period of 1 year, but after a positive evaluation and proven suitability, a permanent contract will be given.
Promising candidates who do yet not meet all mentioned requirements, can and should still apply. Such a candidate, if successful, will be initially appointed as Associate Professor in a tenure track construction for max. 5 years after which, on condition of adequate progress and performance, she/he will be promoted to the rank of Full Professor.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science ? from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam?s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until the 5th of April 2020.
Diversity is one of the core values of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The Department of Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences is committed to improving its gender balance. In view of the current composition of the department, in the first 4 weeks after the application deadline we will consider female candidates only. In case that does not lead to a hire, we will proceed to invite qualified male candidates for interviews.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Tom N. Grossmann
Position: Professor of Biomimetic Chemistry
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037